Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Interest in a stud beginner to intermediate book?

I'm considering writing a basic stud book, the rough equivalent of "Stud for Dummies" and wondering if there'd be interest among any of the current (newer) stud players or hold'em players who'd like to learn.
I'd include a chapter on hi/lo, but it would be primarily about stud hi -- from starting hands to game types to odds to strategy.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Interest in a stud beginner to intermediate book?

I think this (the two plus two website) is too small a sample size to get the unequivocal yes that you want. Moreover, anyone here (reading and posting at two plust two) is less likely than anyone not here to need a basic to intermediate text.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:17 PM

I play Stud/8 but not Stud, and would be interested in that kind of book to get me started at the micro/small stakes Stud tables.

The reason I got into Stud/8 is because I’ve been playing Omaha/8 for awhile, if that makes any sense.

greenage
Old 12-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Are you talking about getting hold\'em players interested in stud?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. There seem to be a ton of young players posting on these boards who have never played anything but hold'em---you have to think they'd drool over learning a different form of poker at some point. But maybe only if they get past a certain stage of development---the first couple of years they might not be interested. The other problem is if they're reading these boards and they're at all interested in stud, they're likely to just want to read Roy West and Sklansky/Malmuth.

How would your book be different from West's (aside from the hi-low section?) He seems to be good enough for any "idiot" to learn from.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering writing a basic stud book, the rough equivalent of "Stud for Dummies" and wondering if there'd be interest among any of the current (newer) stud players or hold'em players who'd like to learn.
I'd include a chapter on hi/lo, but it would be primarily about stud hi -- from starting hands to game types to odds to strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a book similar to Small Stakes Hold'em and Harrington's book, with round by round analysis of hand strenght, is needed for Stud and Omaha. Stud math really makes my head spin.

I think the internet is giving these games a second life, especially the split games.

I am reading Ray Zee's book, but it is not what I need, it is all high-concepts and not enough mechanics.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:42 PM

Have you tried Roy West's book?
It's considered one of the best beginner/intermediate stud books out there and is much easier to read than Zee's.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:13 AM

The 2+2ers who might be interested are the newer he players who want to pick up another game. The big draw to low limit stud, to me, is that a skilled player has a much larger edge against unskilled players because of the added information of the up cards. However virtually every new fish these days starts with he, so stud games tend to have somewhat better (or at least more experienced) players.

West's book is excellent, but like Lee Jones' hold'em book, it's also quite dated and doesn't come close to detailing the different types of low limit stud games out there now, including those on the Internet.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure there would be interest. Certainly I would be. But I think the interest for a book on shorthanded HE would be overwhelming by comparison.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:40 PM

Yes, I think Randy has some hold'em book ideas on the burner (including this one)