Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM

Default How many of you fold this pre-flop?

UTG+1 I only had 14 hands on. He had not raised prior to this preflop and played 29% of his hands. But it was only 14 hands, so totally insignifcant really.

6 people to act behind me. Averagely loose table compared to the normal $1/$2 tables I find, although the weighted average still shows only 21% seeing the flop. Unweighted it definitely would show a lot looser.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero ???
Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: How many of you fold this pre-flop?

Three bet it or fold. It seems unlikely you're going to get lots of calls after you if you cold call it, and three betting it probbaly gets you heads up with position. Raise the autobet on the flop if it's favorable and fold to a re-raise.

Folding it really isn't bad, but I'd be more likely to three bet it. Cold calling is probably the worst option unless you're reasonably sure you're going to get lots of callers behind you.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 PM

Hero 3-bets.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:19 PM

MP1 is a bad spot for this hand.

on a loose table, i fold.

on a tighter table, i may try to 3-bet to isolate him, hoping for something i'm slightly ahead of, e.g. JQs and he flops nothing.

BUT, in MP1, with 4 more ppl to come + SB &amp; BB? i think more often than not i fold.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:47 PM

OK ... help me out here.

3-bet or fold? I'm fully aware of positional concepts, etc., but isn't this weak-tight to fold? And against a player who hasn't played many hands (admittedly, we only have a small sample here), aren't you probably dominated? Wouldn't you want to encourage more players to come along here in the event you spike your 9?

I would cold call the raise and either:

1. Fold to a bet if overcards hit.

2. Raise the PF raiser if I have an overpair to the board.

If I'm 3-bet on the flop, I'll call the raise and fold the turn unimproved. That's 5 SBs my way vs. 4 SBs by 3-betting the flop, having it capped and folding the flop unimproved, but I'll make that SB back and then some by merely cold-calling the raise, having others do so as well and spiking my 9 on the flop.

Again, I'm lost as to 3-betting or folding. Someone please help me out.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:05 PM

Even against a moderately loose EP raise, you could be in bad shape here. If you can get it HU by 3-betting, I go for that. Otherwise, you can find a better time to play this hand.

bk
Old 12-21-2004, 11:24 PM

Thanks guys. I think I made the right decision by folding it preflop then. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 11:25 PM

folds...
Old 12-21-2004, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero 3-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know 3-betting it is gonna probably make everyone else fold. An early raise like that, I'm not expecting to see QJs or something halfass, its more like AK AQ, maybe KQs, or some pocket pair higher than 99. You NEED to hit your 9, or be an overpair on the flop to feel good about this. He has at least 2 overcards for sure. No way he has pocket 8's or a lower pair. You're probably looking at a coinflip at best, drawing to a 2-outer at the worst. Due to the range of hands you're likely to be up against, I'm inclined to fold this. I can't see 99 as a favorite to win this hand. Too weak?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 AM

Hrm, you've definetely made me reconsider. Now I'm not sure what I'd do. Would you fold JJ here? Being up against AK or AQ, you still are about a coinflip, but folding JJ preflop sounds wrong in itself. Also, 14 hands isn't much of a sample size to go on. Thinking more about it, I might cold call instead.