Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Big hurdle that I need to get over

Dogmeat just posted a similar problem that I have, and it inspired me to write about it and see if you guys could help me out.

I've been playing poker for about 2 years now, online for about 8 months. I find myself having a similar dilemma as dogmeat. When I play, I'm very results orientated. Not in live play, but just on the internet. I find myself constantly checking my account balance, and I'll play for a very long time if I'm down. I'm very capable of playing 4 tables at once, but I can't emotionally handle the swings...playing 1/2 and some 2/4 while playing 4 tables and running bad causes me to play until I break even. Yet, this is merely an online problem. During live play I have no problem getting up and leaving when I'm losing, and I don't get as down on myself when I do lose.

I play 1/2 and 2/4 online, and 4/8 and 5/10 when I play live. I do this because I get fairly depressed when I lose a substantial amount online. It's not because I can't lose the money, either. I live very comfortably and I'm a 2BB/100 winner over about 200k hands in pokertracker. Yet, the losing streaks really get to me.

Should I seek professional help? I feel myself getting depressed over long streaks of losing, and threaten to quit every time it happens.

And it's not because of lack of experience or what not. I've had this problem with other sports and activities in my life, and I've been playing poker for a while now.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Big hurdle that I need to get over

well, really your problem is not uncommon, in fact I have probably read countless threads on here about this same thing. A lot of people recommend stop playing for a few days, some people recommend changing games, and play some stud for a while or even a few SnG's, and most of those seem like good advice.

One thing you may want to do is play one or two tables for a while as well(this is if you don't want to stop playing HE). Also, set a strict limit you are willing to lose, and force yourself to stick to that.

Hope this helps some, and hopefully some other people will chime in.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:47 PM

You Must come to accept all possible losses before entering into battle.

I have a very strong feeling you are not doing this.

Losses must happen in poker they are an inevitable reality of this game.

timmer
Old 12-21-2004, 11:00 PM

I'm probably the most competitive person you will ever meet. I've played AAA baseball for North Toronto, my baseball team has won the provincials 3 times, I played AAA hockey, and have played on every other team in existance. I ALWAYS play to win, and I guess I still have trouble playing games that don't always reward good play and practice.

I like the idea of setting a limit and sticking to it, I'm going to try that.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:29 PM

lastly, STOP looking at your friggen account balance every 5 minutes
Old 12-21-2004, 11:50 PM

Yeah, I have to get over that habit :X
Old 12-22-2004, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I ALWAYS play to win, and I guess I still have trouble playing games that don't always reward good play and practice.

[/ QUOTE ] The funniest thing is, it does reward this, but you have to look more long term than this session, or even this week. Poker is def about %, so as long as you play right, those % work in your favor long term. Don't discourage!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 AM

Well said, I never overlook the long run, but I do really concentrate on short term wins and losses. I know that they reward good play over the long run, but sometimes I totally forget that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Thanks for the help guys, I'll try some of the suggestions. Anyone else faced these problems before and overcome them?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:40 AM

I have the same problem. Here's what I do. When I multitable limit games I put black electrical tape on my monitor where my table balance is. I also do not allow myself to look at my balance when I load a table. I only look at my balance every couple thousand hands. These silly little tricks have done wonders for my limit game, allowing me to play longer and more profitably.

Obviously this won't work for NL...
Old 12-22-2004, 01:43 AM

I face this problem as well, and really all I do is tell myself "long run!" "PERCENTAGES!" it doesnt help a lot, but some is enough. I just lost with AKo to 9To, haha, see what I mean. "fun stuff". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]