Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Viable play, or stupid waste of money?

2 5 nl 10 handed ring game online, I am utg with $980, villian is on the button with about $410. I raise to 20 with JhJs, only villian calls.
Flop comes Kh 5d 2c
I bet out 50 opponent miniraises to 100. From what I can tell about my opponent is he's not horrible but not very good, maybe slightly below average, pretty unimaginative, seems to be calling a few to many pre flop raises.

At this point I raised to 300. I wanted to raise to 250 but the way this site is set up it adds the amount you type in to the bets you have remaining from earlier in the current betting round.

My reason for doing this was the following: I will usually bet in this spot. When he miniraised, I was aware that he could have a big hand (although I would expect a flat call in that spot with a set, definitely cant rule it out), but i also thought it might be an information bet (giving him credit enough to see that I would usually bet in this situation) and he wanted to know if his king was good. I will fold far more often then not here, but this time I had the brilliant idea that if I reraised here, he would have to fold KQ and KJ, maybe even AK (but probably not), since he would have to give me credit for at least AK or AA. He flat called, and i check folded when the turn brought the Ac and he bet his last 90 or so dollars into the ~$700 pot (probably the best thing to happen to me in the hand, since now the people at the table who didnt know me thought I was a complete idiot).

What do you guys think of my play here? Please be brutally honest.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Viable play, or stupid waste of money?

Min raise = monster
Old 12-21-2004, 03:11 PM

Every time?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:27 PM

To jump in here, min-raises are almost always monsters in my experience. I fold to a min-raise much faster than I fold to a regular sized raise.

Sly
Old 12-21-2004, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Min raise = monster

[/ QUOTE ]

except when minraise = draw. It helps to know your opponent. Certain players minraise and it's an easy fold, others minraise and I come over the top huge and they show me their draw. On this board, it likely means monster as there is no real draw villian could have.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:33 PM

Your play has to make him lay down a very large % of the time for this to be correct.