Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 07:19 PM

Default 5K Taj tourney. Early hand where I got put to the test

90 minute levels, were still in Level 1. This means $25-$50 blinds, 10K starting stacks. No one is a known to me except Brian Haverson (no clue if I'm close on spelling).

I get JJ in EP and raise to 200. I get 3 callers. $825 in the pot (BB is one of the callers). Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Nice I flopped a set.

Checked to me and I bet out 750. One fold then late position player raises me to 1500. BB folds so its heads-up.

I reraise to 3500. He thinks for a bit and calls.

Turn is the single worst card in the deck for me, the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, my opponent pushes all-in.

Thoughts?

-Scott
Old 12-20-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: 5K Taj tourney. Early hand where I got put to the test

you committed almost half your stack on the flop. i think just calling his raise to 1500 on the flop woudl be better, but if you're going to reraise him, push. note that i think pushing there would not be good at all, but it's better than the reraise to 3500. reraising to 3500 only puts you in a tight spot on the turn, no matter what card hits (unless the board pairs). if you want to put in half your stack, why not just put it all in to avoid the tough decision on the turn and give yourself two chances to improve your hand.

bottom line: i would have called the raise to 1500 on the flop, and then cried as i check-folded that turn.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:51 PM

While not easy from a mental perspective, from a poker perspective this is a clear fold.

I dont mind your repop, as he very well might fold a straight draw to that bet. But when the T hits, you're in trouble. Fold it and play with 5k. Still TONS of time and chips.

Nick
Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 PM

You have ten outs to improve and any single one of them would beat his draw except his possibly QQ, then ....
oh boy, tough decision. Hope you made a good one.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:52 PM

I wonder what people think about pushing allin on the turn and putting him to a decision, even though you might only have 10 outs when called.

If your opponent is tricky and ballsy, he might be cold-calling your rereaise on the flop so he can push you off the hand when a scary card falls and you check.

I don't like calling here on the turn, but I think pushing allin is okay if you can stomach a bit of gambling.

Shane
Old 12-20-2004, 09:55 PM

You are getting about 2 1/2 to 1 pot odds and you are about a 3 1/2 to 1 dog against a straight or flush. If there is a reasonable chance your opponent is not ahead of you now, then you should call.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you committed almost half your stack on the flop. i think just calling his raise to 1500 on the flop woudl be better, but if you're going to reraise him, push. note that i think pushing there would not be good at all, but it's better than the reraise to 3500. reraising to 3500 only puts you in a tight spot on the turn, no matter what card hits (unless the board pairs). if you want to put in half your stack, why not just put it all in to avoid the tough decision on the turn and give yourself two chances to improve your hand.

bottom line: i would have called the raise to 1500 on the flop, and then cried as i check-folded that turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, 35% isn't 50%, and frankly, I'm happy to commit half or more of my stack to a pot when I'm ahead.

Not reraising here when you flop a set would be horrible IMO. Allowing your opponent a cheap draw to his hand is horrible poker.

My reraise essentially destroyed his pot odds to draw. And I like getting a lot of money in the pot when I have the best hand.

To me, there is a fine line between extracting the maximum value from a huge hand, and protecting my hand by pushing him out. I really don't want him to fold here as I want his chips. But I don't want to give him the correct odds to call with a draw. So I picked a bet size that doesn't give him drawing odds.

Its just unfortunate that the worst card in the deck hits on the turn and that he had position on me.

But there are a lot of cards I don't want to see on the turn. Essentially 21 cards I'm not going to like (A, K, T, 8, any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), leaving 26 that are good for me. So given the number of bad turn cards, anyone think I should just push all-in when he raises me on the flop?

I honestly don't think just calling his raise in an option.

-Scott
Old 12-21-2004, 01:42 AM

Did you hold the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 PM

Scott, what was the result of this hand?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:16 PM

Pretty tough spot.

I like the flop play, but I think by re-raising that amount you are committing yourself to playing for all your chips. I think you have to call. Your check might have induced a bluff. If you have th eJ hearts it's an even easier call.