Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 11:42 AM

Default How do I maximize on this MONSTER flop, ie when to raise?

Would you have raised this at any point? I didn't want to raise out the button, and I was hoping BB would bet the river, and I never got a chance to PUMP IT.

BB
{{TOT HANDS: 41
VP$IP: 56.1, PFR: 4.9, WSD: 44.0
Aggression: 0.15
W$SD B/R: 100, folded rvr: 36}}

BUTTON
{{TOT HANDS: 122
VP$IP: 27.0, PFR: 7.4, WSD: 38.2
Aggression: 0.97
W$SD B/R: 75, folded rvr: 14}}

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.33 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (9.33 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 11.33 BB
Old 12-19-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: How do I maximize on this MONSTER flop, ie when to raise?

c/r the field on the flop and lead the turn.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I never got a chance to PUMP IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop

BB checks, Hero checks, Button bets, BB calls, Hero <font color="red"> calls. </font> !!

Ummm... come again?
Old 12-19-2004, 12:34 PM

If I check-raise the flop I may lose the BB either right away but more likely on the turn, I put him on AK, I want him to keep chasing, if I show strength he likely folds the turn ??

Also if he has big overcards he may 3-bet the flop and push out the BB.

That's why i didn't CR the flop
Old 12-19-2004, 12:57 PM

Unlike other posters, I don't hate the flat call on the flop, although my reasoning is different than yours. You say you just flat called to keep all 3 players in the pot, which is OK...but you're not likely losing anybody with any kind of draw or reasonably made hand for one more small bet. I think a more valid reason for playing the flop your way is to get more action on the turn/river. A spade comes on the turn and BB leads into you. OK, he's either taking a stab or he got there w/ his flush. I think you need to raise here 100% of the time. Granted that the smooth call flop in multi-way pot, raise the turn looks like a strong hand, but I think you're still getting action from the BB if he made his flush.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:43 PM

Ok, so the button finished the raising preflop, and led out on the flop when checked to. I do not mind the call post-flop, but to call on the turn is leaving a lot of $$ on the table. I think there is a time when you forget about "Keeping people in the pot" and worry more about getting $$ into the pot. Raise the turn, and lead the river.

The other way to play is ram and jam, CR the flop, lead the turn and river, and see who pays you off. You'd be surprised at how many people are going to take a shot on the turn and river after you CR the flop.

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 08:07 PM

I am primarily a no limit player but I would lead out on the flop here. I would then lead out on all streets, if the BB led the turn I would just call and raise the river if he led again.

I think that you are going to definitely get called by any AK here as well as by all spade draws and straight draws. The downside to this play is if the button raises you might lose the BB.

If I checked the flop I wouldn't check/raise for fear that it would show too much stregnth.

Does anyone else take this line? What are the disadvantages here if you think everyone will call?

-Steve
Old 12-19-2004, 08:42 PM

IF you lead the flop and Button raises, you probably lose your other customer.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:55 AM

how often do you guys think the bb has a hand to showdown?
how often will the BB call the flop and fold to the turn?
how often will the button raise you if you bet the flop?
how often is the BBs hand strong enough to call the raise on the flop?
if you cr the flop, and the button calls, will the bb as well?
if you cr the flop, and the button raises, then what?

i personally like leading this flop here because it shows less strength then checkraising. i will assume that in most situations, how you play this hand wont lose the bb very often. if the bb is looking to go to the showdown i dont think your flop bet, button raise is going to get him off it. he probably just has overcards and youre going to lose him on the turn anyway. i think sacrificing the .5bb from the BB in this hand is far less than the amount youll win from the button by leading this hand.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:26 AM

Yeah you gotta lead this flop. People are funny. If you check raise, they will assume you had a monster and and decided to get tricky with it. If you lead and keep raising, they may suspect you of trying to buy it.