Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Rap Collaborations

Last night I was driving around with a friend of mine listening to the new Snoop CD. "Drop It Like It's Hot" came on, and my friend asked, "Who's this?" and I said, "Pharrell, what the hell do you think?" and he says "Well, that's what I thought, but they rapped together on that last song [Beautiful] so I figured they'd maybe take a break or something. Because, you know, you lose credibility when you rap with the same person too much and you're not in an official posse."

I think he's an idiot and a failure, and I told him as much. I couldn't actually think of any examples of this happening. I don't think anyone has lost any respect for Snoop. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that Snoop is the second most respected active rapper (you can guess who's first)

So yeah, is there any truth to this statement, that collaborating too much as rappers diminishes credibility? Examples?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Rap Collaborations

Snoop is well liked, but as a rapper, he really has no respect. Bascially Snoop is a total whore, that guests on any CD for the right price.

BTW, Snoop is my favorite rapper.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell, I'd go so far as to say that Snoop is the second most respected active rapper (you can guess who's first)

[/ QUOTE ]
Respected by who? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2004, 09:35 PM

Damn, now I'm confused. Now I realize that all this collaborating, for the most part, is just commercial whoring, and definitely causes a loss of respect. But does that necessarily translate to a loss of credibility? I mean, it's pretty obvious that mainstream rappers are all about the money. So while chasing money is something that is looked down upon, it's not like they're betraying our trust or anything.

And yeah, perhaps "respected" was the wrong word. I think what I was looking for might have been "admired" because Snoop's been in the rap game for a long, long time, and he's been successful since Day One. I wouldn't say his career has been the easiest, either (though definitely not the hardest).
Old 12-18-2004, 09:43 PM

yeah, people still like him, maybe even more so now.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:00 PM

Speaking of credibility, you lose it all when you use the phrase "the rap game."

Snoop is an image, nothing more.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:03 PM

I don't think collaborating results in loss of respect or credibility at all. Underground rappers collaborate all the time too. As for collaborating more than once, I can think of a lot of mainstream rappers who have done it and are still on top. Eminem and 50 Cent, Eminem and Dre, Eminem and Royce 5'9, Snoop and Dre, Nas and AZ. Bottom line, your friend's claim is crazy.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of credibility, you lose it all when you use the phrase "the rap game."

Snoop is an image, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I haven't earned any cred to lose on these boards anyway. I'm not too worried about that.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:03 PM

Snoop fell off long ago, and has since been diluted by endless crappy guest appearances on bad records.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:10 PM

Snoop fell off when the DOC stopped writing his lyrics when he left Death Row. Wait, he sucked then too.