Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 AM

Default First post

Long time lurker having a bad run for over a month. Hands like this one have been killing me. Would like to know if i should have done anything different, or if i should not have been involved in the first place
The other player has been very aggressive.
The co had ace queen and sent me packin [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls $7 (All-In), CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 12-17-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: First post

Against a LAG, I like it a lot.

Ugly river. Nice play.

Edit: Is that you all in here on the turn? If so, you really need to play with more money on the table. Even though I'm yet to play a hand that is actually capped on all streets, I try to always have enough to do so, if the situation arises.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 AM

Played hand fine. Unlucky river. Welcome to the forum.

Phy1234
Old 12-17-2004, 06:52 AM

theres no excuse to have that little money on the table. you dont want to be going all in with the nuts in limit poker.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:16 AM

I am often short stacked in a limit game if I have experienced a bad session. I start with twice the minimum buyin and when that is gone, I don't rebuy unless the game is incredibly soft and I am sure that I am playing my A game.

He said he has been on a losing streak, does he just keep rebuying and losing until he is dead broke?

We don't have enough information. If he is buying in at the minimum, He doesn't have enough chips to work with. I start with twice the minimum and sometimes, I get pretty close to the felt before I drag a decent pot. Sometimes, I bust out so I go find a softer table.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:20 AM

His losing streak doesn't have anything to do with it, poker hands are random and independent. If he is good enough to beat tthe game, he should buy in for 150 (at 3/6) and rebuy when he is below 72, in case it is capped all the way. If he isn't better than his competition, he should leave no matter how much money he has. Period. You should never be all-in in limit poker.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 AM

1. No problem overall with the play here. You simply got rivered, by a loose player. Only thing I might have differently was raise him on the flop; you had top pair with a decent kicker. Probably wouldn't have made much difference with this guy, given the way he played on the turn. But you MIGHT have made him think about it. Bottom line; keep playing with this guy...you're going to take $$$ from him in long run.

2. Concur with other posters; not enough money on the table. As a matter of fact, I suspect your short stack may have encouraged the villain to come so aggressively at you.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:54 AM

Raise the flop. Bring enough cash to the table.

I get angry with myself when I suffer a few beats, get left with a 6 or 7 BB stack and then find myself dollars short after a capped turn and winning hand on the river. Leaving dollars on the table. Actually I think the last couple of times I did this I saved myself $ because I lost [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but that's not an excuse.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a matter of fact, I suspect your short stack may have encouraged the villain to come so aggressively at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this could be used to ones advantage!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:05 AM

I would definitely c/r the flop to find out where I am. The of course no raise on the turn if he bets into you again and probly a crying call on the river.