Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Deep stack no limit.. Flopped monster in raised pot

This is hand that I played last night in a home game and it is why we all play poker. Middle position($995) puts in a small raise of $25. One caller($500), we'll call him fat boy calls. Hero($1500) has J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and calls on the button.
Three of us to the flop for $25 a piece. Pot stands at $85($5,$5 blinds).
Flop:Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Villian bets $70, fat boy calls. The villian is of those guys who thinks he is good by raising suited connectors and baby pairs. He is just good enough to lose all of his money. The pot stands at $225 so I call and raise $200 on top of that. Now, the pot stands at $425. This is where things get dicey. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I originally thought the villian was just messing around, but now he calls the $200 and raises all in on top of me for his last $700. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Fat boy moans and cries then folds. Now, I have to reevaluate the situation. If he has a set, which I am pretty sure he does, I am at best a coin flip. The pot stands at $1325 so I have to put up an additional $700 to win $1325. Mathematically, it would not be a horrible call. I am getting around 2:1 on my money and if I am really lucky he has AA or KK which actually places me as a favorite. I decide, deliberating for about thirty seconds and call.
Villian flips over 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for an open ended straight flush draw. At first, I think I am in big trouble, but after thinking about it today, I realize that I was in fact, about a 3:1 favorite. He only has 8 outs...2 tens(I have the ten of diamonds), 3 fives, and 3 sixes. Awesome.. this is good for me.
Turn:2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. No harm done... Winning with Jack high would be downright silly.
River:8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me the nut state and villian a measily pair of eights. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Any comments would be welcome.
ObnxNole
(Villian went on mega tilt and dumped about 2K after that [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 12-16-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Deep stack no limit.. Flopped monster in raised pot

Nicely played. It shouldn't have taken you thirty seconds to call. You can't fold there.

Justin A
Old 12-16-2004, 06:27 PM

shut up, you wouldnt lay that down if he had shown you QQ. 30 sec my ass. nice hand, although it would have been so much better if the river was a black deuce and you won with J high.

oh and the enter key (you know, the one that broke off your school computer), hit it a couple of times in your posts, makes it much easier to read.

ni han.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:34 PM

The enter key mysteriously broke as I slammed the keyboard in a drunken party poker rage. AA crushed by 62 offsuit. They don't make things the way they used to.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:38 PM

The enter key mysteriously broke in a drunken party poker rage. AA crushed by 62 offsuit. The y don't make things the way they used to.