Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 12:22 AM

Default Request expected win/loss data in limit games

I wonder if there is any expected win/loss data in limit games for a good player. I understand that there will be variations present, but since poker is not solely due to chance, there should be some data around. I suppose this depends on number of hands played etc. but is there any data per 100 hands/ hour ?

I am a beginner with about 6 months experience and donot have pokertracker yet, need to upgrade my RAM next week. I am up by $ 3000 playing usually 5 - 10 limit and 50 SNGs.
I wonder if I can compare my game to the above data to see if I am playing on " par".

Thanks a lot in advance to all those who post here. Thanks for the education !!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Request expected win/loss data in limit games

Can't compare your game without knowing how much you've won at each different game type, and how many hands you've played at limit. ROI is the term used for SNG's, and I'm not certain if that translates over to BB/100 easily. If your limit sample is too small - then it is statiscally insignificant. You can do a search for +"sample size" and -"re:" - go back for a couple of months - and you'll see the type of info you need.

The standard for limit play (from what I've read) is 3BB/100. With mid-limit games, mabye only 2BB/100. That's $2,000 for your first 10,000 hands at 5/10 limit.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:39 AM

If you're up $3000 upgrade your RAM today and buy Pokertracker tonight. Then play at least 20,000 hands before you worry about win rates. There are a number of posters here that play >15,000 hands per month; sample size is paramount.

If you can sustain winning 1 BB per 100 hands you're doing okay. Winning 3 BB means that you are KILLING the game at the level you play. More than that means you are the Babe Ruth of poker.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:31 PM

I agree with another poster that you should make an effort to get PokerTracker as soon as you can. If you are not a winning player, the loss can be infinite. If you are a winning player, I suppose you can predict the theoretical size of a downturn - a 100BB slide is not that uncommon.

I'm not a math person nor a stats person, but I'm pretty sure that if you can't beat the games you're playing, you have no upside outside what luck brings.

Regards,

T