Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Last one I promise... HU w/ bottom pair out of position

Only played three hands with this guy so far, so no read to say the least. Table just broke up so 3 handed for this before I left. I'm really struggling with my HU play, especially when out of position. I keep getting this urge that they're always trying to bluff me out so I end up 3-betting with A-high hands and such, most of the time I'm shown a middle/top pair called to the river. So I'm trying to be a bit more passive because people don't like to fold as I've seen so far. Anyway, to the hand.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 12-16-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Last one I promise... HU w/ bottom pair out of position

I'm folding the turn here. You've flopped bottom pair so if hes playing back at you with a made hand, its likely to be better than yours. But if he was also just playing back at you with the OESD, it got there on the turn. If he does just have like 96o you still dont have the odds to see the river with your 5 outter.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the quick response Alobar. Just curious though, if the turn is a rag do you still call a turn bet from him? If he checks through the turn would you bet out on the river if there is another rag?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the quick response Alobar. Just curious though, if the turn is a rag do you still call a turn bet from him? If he checks through the turn would you bet out on the river if there is another rag?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the turn card didnt complete the straight, it would be a hard decision for me. I would prolly call, and then fold the river if he bet again and I didn't catch. Because a river bet is more likely to be a real hand as I think the OESD gives up. But I suck in these spots so I dunno if thats sound advice

I wouldnt bet the river if he checks through the turn, because if he calls you (which he will do with any made hand) you are most likely going to lose. He may also check behind a few hands that you can't beat (54o, etc). If he checks the turn and a blank falls on the river and he bets tho, I'm going to call.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 PM

I agree, I fold the turn here. If the turn wasn't a card that completed the OESD I'd consider calling down, but at a new table with no reads I probably give up on the turn either way, as there are going to be a lot of cards you don't want to see on the river with this holding either.

-Rizen
Old 12-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Dont raise preflop, A3 sucks, you are out of position and it makes it harder for you to get him to fold the flop because of the extra investment.

The rest is ok, really need a read in this situation to determine the best play.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont raise preflop, A3 sucks, you are out of position and it makes it harder for you to get him to fold the flop because of the extra investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're joking. An ace headsup is a monster. I'd raise any king and pretty much all queens from the smallblind.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, you are aware that it's head up right? A3 vs a random hand is a very profitable situation, especially when you probably play better postflop then your opponent.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:12 PM

I'd rather limp with this and easily win a pot when both of us miss than have a guy bluff raise me because he puts me on an Ace(since I raised preflop) and the flop is rags.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather limp with this and easily win a pot when both of us miss than have a guy bluff raise me because he puts me on an Ace(since I raised preflop) and the flop is rags.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he is bluff raising, then play back at him or just call him down and take it with your ace high. Not raising this preflop is giving up on lots of EV