Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Standard Free Card Raise?

I'm trying to pull myself out of a downswing - looking to see if I make the play that most posters would in certain situations. Is my raise on the flop for the free look at the river a typical play?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
Old 12-15-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Standard Free Card Raise?

I like it, but you won't always get away with it--you get 3-bet on the flop and now you're worse off than if you had just called the flop and turn.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 AM

i dont think you are raising for the free card as much as for the strength of your 2nd nut flush draw. i would raise here with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] easily, but maybe that's cuz im stupid.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think you are raising for the free card as much as for the strength of your 2nd nut flush draw. i would raise here with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] easily, but maybe that's cuz im stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB has an ace or king, then J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would be a (slightly) better hand for Hero to have at this point.

Anyway, I think the flop raise is fine. If Hero gets 3-bet, it's not a catastrophe, since he probably has 11 outs (plus a backdoor straight). And there is a decent chance of buying a free river card.

I raised in a similar situation last night. I was heads-up with TT against the big blind and he bet out on an ace-high, suited flop. I raised with my pair and fourth nut flush draw, and he folded. (Apparently he was bluffing. Or maybe he had a weak ace -- it was sort of a tight table.) So that's something else that can happen.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:32 AM

I would play this hand the same every time. You aren't going to fold this flop, and calling is bad as well. The BB leading out into the raiser is just a wierd bet. I think this free card play works more often than not, as he should be going for a check raise with a hand that is strong enough to lead the turn after being raised, and he will check the turn with most hands that he would lead out with here. That's just my opinion.

Also: If you don't hit your set on the river, I still would check/call, especially if BB thought awhile after you raised on the flop. I've just had so many experiences where the BB will lead heads up with absolutely nothing, give me the free card and stab at it again on the river. A read is helpful with this though.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 AM

I like this line as well and would play it the same way. You have a very strong drawing hand and the 2nd nut flush draw. BB could complete with any spade (not the Q) and bet out especially if he is agressive on the flop.