Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 11:07 PM

Default TR King Set

I'm thinking of getting a set of TR Kings.

All chips would have my initials in gold

The price structure is as follows:
plain chip stamped $.50
plain chip stamped & denom $.55
edge spot chip stamped / stamped/denom $.90

I've got a cap around $600 for the set...

Basic idea is to get
200 red marked $5 (@.55)
150 green marked $25 (spotted @.9)
100 black marked $100 (spotted @.9)
50 purple marked $500 (spotted @.9)
25 yellow marked $1000 (spotted @.9)
25 turquoise marked $5000 (spotted @.9)

Add in lower end chips w/o denoms so they can be used as 1s or supplement another color value as appropriate:
100 gray (possible do double duty as 100s)
100 lavender (kinda red so could supplement reds in a pinch)
100 light green (kinda green for extra $25s)
all those are $.50 each

And then 50 blue fancy w/o denom (@.9 to double duty as blacks or as $10 or $500 or whatever)

Am I way overthinking that to save the difference? Are the non-spotted chips going to look bad compared with the others (so I'd be better off getting 200 'fancy' instead of 400 plain ones). I'm thinking that if I dislike the plain ones I can slide them out to a tourney set or make a gift to someone with the same initials (partly a joke, partly making me consider getting just my last initial on it so I'd have chips for brother, dad, if needed).

For home game up to about 10-12 players...

Am I better off just getting a smaller set of customs from pokerchips.com? I guess I still need to get more samples... Just got a crankin' boost to the chip budget so easier on me if I can *order* around Xmas...

Thoughts?

PinataUT
Old 12-16-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Re: TR King Set

Are you talking about having both your initials, and the denom stamped on these chips?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of foil stamped chips. As someone here recently mentioned, its a bit "ghetto" IMO. I don't really see the appeal of having my initials on the chips - I'd much rather see a graphic (custom or otherwise).

Have you considered their 'stock inlay' chips? How much do their custom inlay chips go for in small order quantities (do they only offer 2 color)?

I just cant see paying 90¢ for hotstamped TRKs, go with the 95¢ custom pokerchips.com. If you must have stamped chips, I think pokerchips.com w'edgespots are 65¢ each.

BTW - what do you mean by 'fancy'? Edge spots?

J
Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM

For the record, soon after the holidays, I am going to organize a small group buy of T.R. Kings with the stock "King's Crown" inlay with custom colors and dual edge-spots. I need to order 5,000 to get the pricing to $0.85. Right now I have interest for about 2,000. If anyone else is interested, let me know.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:57 PM

ugh, I would love to get in on that but I'm going to be so broke after the holidays. Looking on the TR King site I see that the "kings crown" chips have edgespots. The ones that apachepokerchips.com sell don't. You're getting the edge spot ones for $0.85?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:02 PM

See the second post in this thread.
TR King double edge spot

Something along those lines with the standard King's Crown inlay is what he is talking about.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh, I would love to get in on that but I'm going to be so broke after the holidays. Looking on the TR King site I see that the "kings crown" chips have edgespots. The ones that apachepokerchips.com sell don't. You're getting the edge spot ones for $0.85?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's a "semi-custom" set - that same stock inlay, but with custom colors and edge spots. they quoted them to me at $0.85 each for 5,000+.

[ QUOTE ]
See the second post in this thread.
TR King double edge spot

Something along those lines with the standard King's Crown inlay is what he is talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely. i REALLY like hoefler's gray chip, just don't know which denomination i'd want it for? $1 maybe?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:42 PM

I also want to do a set of TR Kings like those. I'm planning a set that will work with or w/o denoms, but I'm not going to have the money for a few months (waiting for a divorce settlement).

I would use dark blue for $1 and use gray or white for .25 cents.

Checkout the original Kings Crown chips:
http://www.silver-state-treasures.co...s/kngscrwn.htm

I especially like the rounded spots on the $5 and $25. The original $100 is absolutely sick! The different shaped inlays are also really nice.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:46 PM

Man, that orig. $100 is absolutely incredible.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 PM

I'll second the "not a big fan of foil stamping"... seems like a way to ruin a perfectly good chip... 11.5g's sure but TR Kings... I wouldn't. They look good out of the box but my samples (from the poker chip company) didn't wear well at all and I could see the same happening with any foil stamping. I think they're going to get slight scratches and will never look as good as they do from the start. I've seen alot of good things said about the TR Kings but I _much_ prefer the pokerchips.com chips... the wait & single edge spot I know are bad but that's just my pref.

I'll also second the pokerchips.com route for hot stamping if it's a must... and solids are only 35¢ & spotted/initals/values are 80¢ ea...
From pc.com chip prices:

Custom clay with printed center and edge spots .95
Custom clay with printed center .75
Clay spotted and hot stamped (up to 3 initials) .65
Clay spotted and hot stamped (values only) .75
Clay spotted and hot stamped (initials & values) .80
Clay spotted .50
Solid color clay .35
Solid color clay hot stamped (up to 3 initials) .50
Solid color clay hot stamped (values only) .60
Solid color clay hot stamped (initials & values) .65

All that aside I think solid colors will mix well with edge spotted chips. I'd opt for more of each color than more colors doing double duty. For a $600 budget I'd get 5 chips and certainly wouldn't go over 6 and would seriously consider only 4. I'd let the denoms do double duty for cash/tourney's e.g. $5/50¢, $25/25¢, $1/$1000/10¢, $500/$5/50¢.

- Fins
Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 PM

I agree. For the price you're paying for edge spotted hot stamped, you could pay a bit more for the pokerchips.com chips. I only think tr kings would be a good choice if you are in on a group buy of 5000+ which would get the prices around .80 - .90 / chip. I think the A mold (my favorite) looks very similar to the TR King mold.

Like you mentioned though, get samples of everything before you decide. From the pics on the pokerchips.com site, I liked the roman mold best. When I received samples, I didn't like the roman mold and switched to the A mold as my favorite.