Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 09:19 PM

Default 15-30 Hand: Weak or Wonderful?

15-30 on Party. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. EP limps, next player raises, folded to me, I call, BB calls, limper calls. I thought about reraising but decided against it because I didn't think I could get anyone out but also because I planned to checkraise a safe flop. Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, BB bets, limper calls, preflop raiser calls, I call. I don't put the BB on trips because I think he would checkraise...I put him on a 9 or a str8/flush draw. Anyway...turn is the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving me the 2nd nut flush draw. I check, BB bets, limper calls, preflop raiser folds, I call. The river is the underwheling 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, BB checks, limper checks. Comments? It felt weak as I played it, but I don't think checkraising the flop or betting the turn would be right. Preflop we can argue all day, but I like to sometimes call here when I think I'll tactically benefit postflop.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Re: 15-30 Hand: Weak or Wonderful?

This was actually a perfect opportunity to 3-bet preflop because you likely would have gotten the BB to fold. There's less of a chance of the limper folding, but even if he doesn't fold, you wouldn't mind him putting another big bet into the pot when you likely have the better hand. The same goes for the BB.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 PM

The only time I am calling from the sb instead of raising is when I want to disguise my hand for when it hits and let the raiser bet a weaker ace. I dont like calling preflop with the intention of checkraising a weak board at all, all the call does is make it more correct for bb and limper to see the flop and pair low cards.

-Brad
Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 PM

Just calling obviously disquises your hand if you flop big also...so you can checkraise (the advantage you discuss). If the board comes weak, you can more easily checkraise the preflop raiser and make it a heads up contest. Fattening the pot out of position makes this tougher.

Now note that I'm not saying reraising preflop is wrong. In fact, this is the line I would take most of the time with a relatively small field out of the SB. I just didn't this time...I don't think it's as wrong as people imply.

What do you think of the postflop play?

Jeff
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the postflop play?

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that your preflop action (or lack thereof) presents you with some tough decisions later in the hand. You have no idea where you stand, no idea if BB has a hand or is just representing something, no idea of the strength of the original raiser's hand (lots of people raise with all sorts of crap, but few will, for example, cap with it). You are now totally in the dark and must struggle with difficult decisions, all because you made one mistake preflop which you're now trying to justify.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:52 AM

I don't like 3-betting AK out of position. I generally will just call. If I miss, I typically won't try a c/r on the flop, especially if it's multiway. I'd would either c/c--like you did, or c/f depending on the flop action. It's too hard to force a laydown in a multiway flop when the board is small.

KP22
Old 12-16-2004, 01:36 AM

If you're going to just call preflop, in order to be deceptive later, I would have check-raised the turn this time.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:07 AM

with 8 big bets in the pot a check raise on the turn , and follow-up bet are worth a try. No one seems ultra strong here and the way you played it sets-up nicely as amade flush draw, or a slow play of trips. You have big outs with both the flush and possibly an ace or king is good here if you hit as well. good luck
Old 12-17-2004, 01:18 AM

Default RESULTS

My hand is good, both muck. Unfortunately, I lost the hand number so don't know what they had...I'll look it up and let you know.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2004, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is that your preflop action (or lack thereof) presents you with some tough decisions later in the hand. You have no idea where you stand...you are now totally in the dark and must struggle with difficult decisions, all because you made one mistake preflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.