Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Pokerroom 10/20 - good fold or too weak?

I'm UTG+1 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I make it 2 bets, folded around to the button who calls, and BB calls.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check, button checks.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to the button who bets, BB raises, I fold.

Seeing as I only had $20 invested in this hand, was this a good fold or just pathetically weak given that only pocket kings or 1 ace can beat me? Should I be betting out on the flop/turn? My intention was to check/raise the flop, but after the raise and re-raise on the turn I was unsure of the correct play.

Results later...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Pokerroom 10/20 - good fold or too weak?

Very weak. I would bet the flop. Take the action from there it will be much easier next time.

On the turn no one has shown any stregnth. The button could be completely bluffing, betting any king or any pocket pair. Both likely holdings considering he called 2 cold. BB would raise with a 7 or nearly any pair.
You are likely good.

Here is a question... would calling the turn and betting out on the river be an acceptable line? perhaps better than 3 betting?
Not many cards hurt you, kings and the last ace. neither devestates your hand.
If you 3 bet button is going to fold most hands and BB will shut down provided no one has an ace.
So you raise button folds bb calls, and check calls river, you make 2 bets.
You call, button calls. and raise the BB on the river and make 3 bets. Or even just call the river and hope for an over call from button if he calls on the turn.
This will save you bets if BB has the A, and make the most when he doesnt.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:00 PM

betting the flop/turn would've given you much better information, which would've saved you from making what is likely a bad laydown.

a check/raise is a weird play that might confuse the button, but a UTG raise with two aces on the board would be equally confusing to him. maybe you have an ace, maybe you have a big pair. a check/raise might be confusing enough to him that you won't know where you're at, either.

i bet the flop and if the button raises i figure he doesn't have an ace and i check/raise him on the turn. if he calls the flop and raises me on the turn i probably call him down. but if he's tight and solid i've checked the turn, fearing a reraise, hoping to induce a bet by a smaller pair or overcards. if he checks the turn i lead out the river, if he bets i call him down. you'll note that this is a pretty weak/passive line too, but hey, it doesn't involve folding queens full.

so what about the bb? you can read him a lot better based on the action between you and the button. my guess is he has a seven. hard to put him on the one remaining ace or kings.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:06 PM

Sorry, pretty weak stuff there. The BB would likely make that play w/ almost any PP higher than 7's. Although you do have to consider that there a preflop raiser and caller already in the hand and he would have suspected that at least one of you was strong.