Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Bubble small pair situation. How would you act?

Sorry don't have hand history but will give details as close as possible. $10 single table and we are down to four players at the 150/300 level.

UTG has 2700 approx(seems solid enough)
Button has 1200 approx(got here based on one lucky suck out)
Sb has 4600 approx(constant limper but aggro after flop)
Hero is BB with 1500 apprx, after I post blind I am 1200

Hero is dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG folds
Button folds
Small blind raises to 600

What is your play here? Is this an easy fold based on situation? Should I wait it out and try to get smaller stack to bust as he has to face blinds next? Fold or push?
Old 12-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Bubble small pair situation. How would you act?

I don't like his min-raise. You have PP and are basically short stacked. You're probally not gonna get a better hand over the next half a dozen hands, so I'm thinking now's the time to make your move. He min-raised, and his large stack allows him to steal with slightly worse hands. I'd move all-in and think he'll probally fold. Even if he doesn't, you're still probally ahead. Anyone think this is bad (I'm a beginner so comments are welcome [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 12-15-2004, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like his min-raise. You have PP and are basically short stacked. You're probally not gonna get a better hand over the next half a dozen hands, so I'm thinking now's the time to make your move. He min-raised, and his large stack allows him to steal with slightly worse hands. I'd move all-in and think he'll probally fold. Even if he doesn't, you're still probally ahead. Anyone think this is bad (I'm a beginner so comments are welcome [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

SB chip leader has 4000 after the raise and if hero re-raises all-in, will only have to call 900 more into a pot of 2100. It's a no-brainer with any 2 cards, IMO. Even though you might be ahead here, it's a small favorite, big dog situation, unless he was raising with 43 or 62 or something that's not even marginal. I'd fold here. You have a couple more chances to play later on and a shorter stack who will hit the big blind soon.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:33 PM

Definately push here.

The SB is probably going to call you and you will probably be coinflipping, but you have to take a shot sooner or later and this isn't a terrible spot to do it. Even if he will only raise with a pair or an ace here, you are a favorite against that range of hands. Most likely he is raising with a big range of hands and you are definately a favorite (albeit a small one) against them.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:52 PM

I've looked at some of the math and it all depends on whether you think you can outplay our opponents or not. If table is mostly even then you should fold. If you are comfortably the best player there ($10 able remember), pushing might be the better move.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:27 PM

I actually decided to push in because I felt there was a chance he would fold. I had done this on two previous occassions(reraised) and he folded his limped attempts from the small blind. I figured he could be on any range of hands and was trying to put big stack pressure on me as I was tight on the bubble with #4 stack.
In retrospect I think I should have folded(not because I lost) but because the smaller stack was going into the blinds himself and would be forced to probably play one of his next three hands or be crippled.
In addition the fact that big stack only has to call 900 more into a 2100 pot gives him 7-3 pot odds which is right for him to call with most hands. Ironically I can say with a great deal of confidence that this opponent did not consider the odds nor does he have any understanding of this concept. Earlier on called two raises and reraises to hit a gut shot str8 with three to a flush on board and he didn't hold a card of same suit.
He called (correctly) and turned over 9,7 of hearts and hit a nine and I went out in fourth.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:34 PM

heres the deal, the sb will call u all of 99.9% of the time, due to him being a big stack. he should have just pushed on you to make the decision on you, but he didnt, so it makes you do the thinking. if u KNOW you are a slight favorite or a huge dog, but only have 5x the bb, and after posting will have 3.5x bb, it puts you in a very tough spot. this is a trouble hand that i face all too often. i suppose it really depens on how im feeling what i do here, and be it correct or not, i would probably push, mainly because i like to amass chips on the buble and give myself the best opportunity to win. its correct for you to push and its correct for him to call, what a choice.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:38 PM

I'm fairly new to SNG's, but this seems like an easy push to me.

Someone said it was a "small favorite, big dog" situation. I don't think you should be thinking at all that this guy has a bigger pair. IMO your stack is just a little too close to the small stack to wait him out when you have this hand in front of you. On top of that, you have a much better chance at 2nd or 1st once you do make the money, if you win.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM

So you have 1200 in chips and the pot already has 900 chips. You push the last 1200 in and if you get called you only need a hand that will win greater than 40% of the time to make this call correct. Your shortstacked and about tie with the other small stack. You need chips! This would be an easy push for me. I think you get called and I think you will be ahead of the big stack a majority of the time. I would be happy to get my chips in here.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:19 PM

Stop and go, and it's not close.