Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 03:02 AM

Default Buying a Chip Set

Ok, I understand that this question has probably been asked a 1000 times by a 1000 people, however, that is not going to stop me from asking any ways.
I'm looking to buy an entry level poker chip set. I want 500 or 650 chips and I have $100 or so to spend.
I've found that I can get 500 11.5g (dice, diamond, or suited) chips from just about anywhere in this price range. But I want to make sure these chips are worth having. Can anyone vouch for the quality of these chips? Or does anyone have a suggestion for different chips?

I also found these:
http://www.niagarapokersupply.com/pr...240d2023777716
But these seem awful inexpense for the type of chip, any thoughts on this?

Thanks folks.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Buying a Chip Set

That link is overpriced. If you like those chips, you can find them a lot cheaper on ebay. After doing a quick search, you can get 650 for $59.95 with a case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Just get samples of everything you're considering and then decide. The ones in the link have metal centers which makes them sound like coins. I briefly had a set and sold them pretty quick. They're still not bad for the price though.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:51 PM

Check here: pokerchipreviews

For cost you might also look at...
10g faux chips
Diamonds
13.5 g's

Your right it's been asked alot... peruse the board and try the search [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

- Fins
Old 12-15-2004, 01:59 PM

I bought those chips from Niagara Poker Supply and they got here in 2 days! They even let me get the specific color breakdown that I wanted and shipping was only 8 bucks. Sure you can get chips on eBay but you don't know who your buying from or when you'll get them. I highly recommmend them. NPS has been great everytime i ordered.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought those chips from Niagara Poker Supply and they got here in 2 days! They even let me get the specific color breakdown that I wanted and shipping was only 8 bucks. Sure you can get chips on eBay but you don't know who your buying from or when you'll get them. I highly recommmend them. NPS has been great everytime i ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather buy on ebay. At least on there you can rely on feedback ratings. NPS looks way overpriced.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 PM

Those chips are $149 on most websites. I'd say that's a good deal ([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]I bought them)
Old 12-15-2004, 03:23 PM

Honestly, I own a set of the dice chips I bought off ebay and I am pretty happy with them. They are enjoyed by everyone in my home game and I've even got some compliments on them (not that I take that to heart) I know they are cheap and crappy metal insert chips, but for my budget and their functionality and looks - the dice chips fit me just fine.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:41 PM

Those chips are fine, you should consider getting one for free from one of the affiliates.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:46 AM

Go to Costco and check out the 500 chip set, (Green box). I pick this set up for $59.95 and the chips are much better than the "dice/suit" chips you see on ebay.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:46 AM

As far as cheap chips go, I like the WPT chips. You can get them at Sam's with a nice wooden case for $89. They are pretty nice chips.