Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 02:22 AM

Default Debatable flop play? Foldable river or mandatory call?

I cried and called, but I'm wondering if I can safely fold this river given the action. MP2 is LA-P, button is a big-time LAG, but even LAGs usually don't 3-bet with less than top pair. He'd have raised pre with AA or KK, so he doesn't have an overpair.

Irregardless of getting 3-bet behind me, how do you feel about the flop raise?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

River: (11.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.16 BB
Old 12-15-2004, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Debatable flop play? Foldable river or mandatory call?

If you are sure he doesn't have AA or KK the only hand you beat is 22. I think it is a fold on the river.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:11 PM

Flop raise is fine. It's possible you are protecting the best hand or maybe you are buying a free card for your draw. See how it goes and make a decision on the turn.

All three possible flop plays are pretty close. It depends on what you think the bet means, how likely he is to 3-bet or bet the turn, and how the rest of the table plays.

You have to call the river. Could be 22, the case 6, or some goofy hand like 88. Don't be a mastermind and assume a queen, especially versus a LAG. 12-1 is much too good to pass up.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are sure he doesn't have AA or KK the only hand you beat is 22. I think it is a fold on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a disasterous fold getting 12-1 on the call against a LAG.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 PM

The hand is fine and you need one helluva read to fold the river against a LAG.

Kludde