Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Bay 101 Daily Tourney Question

I was thinking about taking a "mental health day" next week and play in one of these 40+10 tourneys at Bay 101 in San Jose.

Bay 101 Tourney Schedule

The structure looks pretty fast with 15 minute rounds. It's a R/A with spread limit but I think there spread is pretty high (up to 40xBB?).

Has anyone played in any of these? If you have, how is quality of the play? Fast and Laggy since it's a R/A? How many usually play and what's the typical prize pool? Looks like it might take about 6 hours, is that about right?

Thanks in advance, Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Bay 101 Daily Tourney Question

Yes it can be pretty LAGgy, especially in the rebuy period. The players are generally poor, typical Bay 101 types, but there is a group of MTT regulars who play pretty well. Usually around 50-80 players mid-week with a $3-4K prize pool, I think. It's spread limit that plays like no-limit since the limit is 40BB's (some dopey San Jose law is the reason for not being NL). Like I said the competition is pretty soft. I have played 10 times, cashed 4 times and made 3 final tables, and I'm a good 20/40 player but by no means a tournament expert.

If you can make it Wed. or Sat. and can afford the higher entry fee ($120/100 rebuy/add on) there are satellites for the WPT events in March. There is usually at least one $10,000 seat (often two on Sat.) and 2 through about 5-8 get seats in the $1000 or $2000 events.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Bay 101 Daily Tourney Question

Hi Hank -

Thanks for the info. I'll probably check out the lower buy-in first. My play is okay online but I've never played live before so I don't want to risk too much in a first outing.

I'm interested in trying to get into the WPT event (Shooting Stars). Paradise Poker is also offering nightly satellites for seat ($10k buy-in plus $1500 expenses).

There's either a $100 freezeout or a $25 R/A. Paradise isn't taking any rake on the WPT events for some reason so it's seems like a good deal, especially since one seat is Guaranteed every tourney.

They alternate the freezeout/rebuy every other night. The Rebuy plays very fast as the blinds go up every 10(12?)minutes? The freezeout goes up every 15.

Thanks again, Steve