Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 PM

Default ? to people who started with BR\'s below 100

Kinda curious as to what the responses are. I'd like to know how people built their BR from 50-100 to whatever they have now.

I'm facing this kinda problem now. I have a small BR, but in order to play within my limits I have to play, well, small limits - that don't make much profit (we're talking $1.50 an hour max playing .25-.50 games).

*edit - without bonus whoring.

Did you take 50 and play .25-.50?
Did you plunk your 50 on a NL50 table?
Did you put your 50 into a 1-2 game?

Just curious
Old 12-14-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Re: ? to people who started with BR\'s below 100

$5 SNG's were the ticket to bankroll security for me (move up to 10's ASAP).
I didn't find out about bonus whoring until much later.

good luck
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 PM

I started playing .05/.10 on pokerstars and moved up from there. Original deposit was $50 there. I deposited more on other sites and withdrew and such since, but I learned as much as possible and improved my game, worked my way up to .25/.50 and .50/$1 (on occasion) and got to where I could withdraw all the money I ever deposited + some.

Now I am playing exclusively on a bankroll built from winnings and play $1/$2 on Empire/Party. Currently my bankroll is at around $1700. Nothing huge or to brag about but hey, it is all profit from doing something I enjoy doing.

Now I'm not sure what your exact question is, but it sounds like you want some reassurance that it can be done. Yes it can. Many people here have built their bankroll from less than me and are playing MUCH higher limits than me. I'm just slow. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Keep learning and keep improving and your win rate will increase. Build the bankroll slowly but surely and go from there.

BTW, I played exclusively limit, not NL.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:40 PM

So you're asking if there's a quick way to give a nice jolt to your BR rather than doing it the $1.50 an hour way? I agree with AEKDbet. For your bankroll, try sprinkling in a few $5/$1 tourneys every now and then. You don't need to play them exclusively by any means but heck, if you were to win a 1-table $5 tourney right now, that's a 25% boost in your BR for usually a little over an hours play. Not bad! And you get a great deal of playing experience for that $6 as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:56 PM

$50 to $1800 in 6 weeks on Party Poker.
$47 to $2000 in 2.5 weeks on UB.
$100 to $1400 in 10 days on another site.

Here's how:

I took $50 and played .25/.50 till I got it to $150.
Then I played .50/1 till I got it to $300.
Then I switched to PL 25 (before Party's NL 25 was an all-in or fold game).
I got my bankroll up to $600 and switched to NL 50.
I then played NL 50 till my bankroll was at $1000.
I then played NL 100 until I cashed out all my winnings to buy a car.
That was all on Party Poker back when it was unheard of for them to have 10,000+ players online.

I took a few months off, and then played on UB. I started with $0 and some UB Points.
I played UB Point 10/20 till I got my UB points to about 5,000.
I then played UB Point NL 2500 till I got my bankroll to about 70,000.
I then used those UB Points to enter a bunch of tourneys, and won $47 in one.
I played that $47 on NL 10 tables till I got it to $75 (1 day).
I then played on NL 25 till I got it to $200 (1 day).
I then played on NL 50 till I got it to $500 (2 days).
I then played a mix of NL 50 (2 tables) and NL 100 (1 table) till I got it to $2000 (2 weeks).

The other site (to remain un-named as it is small and I don't want it infiltrated with sharks):
Took $100 from my UB winnings, and played 1/2 for 1 day till I got it to $200.
Played 2/4 and got it $1400 after another 9 days.
Then cashed out.

Now I'm playing on ChecknRaisePoker.com.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:01 AM

Here is a thread you need to read Homer's Bankroll Building Guide

UB has 1 + .10 SnGs if you really want to be safe. UB is a bit tighter than most sites. I believe they have a 50% bonus right now.

Prima Sites are also decent in my opinion. They have 2 + .50 SnGs. though the rake is pretty bad for that low of a level. However, they are fishy enough where showing a profit is quite easy. Freerolls could also be another option.

I find the non Texas Holdem games easily beaten on these sites. might want to consider that route as well.

Melch
Old 12-15-2004, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're asking if there's a quick way to give a nice jolt to your BR rather than doing it the $1.50 an hour way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, basically. I'm going to college next fall and I'll probably look to have a job over the summer. I'm finincially secure as a soon-to-be college student, but I'd like to have my poker pay off financially when college comes around (college will be cheap thanks to scholarships, but I'm sure you get my drift).

I'll be honest with you, I took $35 and I turned it into $180 at PS but I couldn't keep it. I was hovering around $40 playing .25-.50 O8 and HU O8 five buck matches and I (stupidly) played an $11 rebuy tourney at PS for the hell of it, and turned my 11 dollar investment into 63.

Boom, bankroll is now 90'ish. Played .25-.50, HU $5 matches, and eventually .5-1 when I got to 150, then splat.

I think a lot of it had to do w/ stress at school in getting to college and the whatnot, but the minute I had a losing streak at the .5-1 tables I just could not be man enough to put myself back at .25-.50, and even when I did I was still breaking even.

In the end, a poor run of cards mixed with my feelings of "Man, I seriously hate this 'slow and steady crap'" with a lack of patience and focus busted me.

Granted, I look at it as a $35 loss, not a $180 loss, I'm not all that bummed. I'm learning, most importantly.

But I'd just like the assurance that slow and steady will win the race, especially when I have enough hours to dedicate to it this next time around over winter break and this next summer.

I never want to be impatient or non-focused at a table again. I don't want to have the mindset, most importantly, that the work I'm putting into this is resulting in no net positive. I equate a small gain with nothing. I want to change that.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 AM

i started at .05/.10 at pacific with a $25 dollar promo they had, never looked back since [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 AM

I started playing .5/1 on party with my brothers BR. He told me not to lose more then $15. Good thing I won $150 in my first night or I wouldnt be playing poker today
Old 12-15-2004, 01:15 AM

Started with $20 bankroll a month ago, at $.01/.02 NL. Ran it up to $1200 while moving up several times.