Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Questions about win-rate calculations

I posted this in the B&M Cardroom board but it wasn't getting any responses. I'd really like to know the answers to these, so any help is appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------

I regularly play 3/6 locally and 4/8 in AC. Over the past 2 months I started keeping regular records, but I'm not quite sure I'm calculating my hourly win rate correctly. The way I'm doing it is as follows:

5 hours @ 3/6 for $48 profit
5 hours @ 4/8 for $72 profit

48/6 = 8 big bets won in 5 hours; 1.6 BB/hr
72/8 = 9 big bets won in 5 hours; 1.8 BB/hr

OK, now the tricky part...

8BB + 9BB = 17BB won in 10 hours; 1.7BB/hr

Is that correct?

Also, how do I account for dealer tokes and waitress tips, as well as expenses like travel costs and meals?

And for that matter do I figure travel time to and from the cardroom into my rate as well?

Finally, I have played 4 tournaments and not cashed in any of them. Do I include the buy-in for the tourney as well as the hours played, or should that be separate?

JUST counting cashouts minus buyins, my rate (as calculated above) comes out to be 1.55 BB/hr for 153 hours. Sounds reasonable, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Questions about win-rate calculations

You should not combine tourneys and ring games into your win rate.

RING GAMES; The best thing to do is analyze your win rate at each level - $3/6 and $4/8 shouldn't really be combined because that is giving you a misleading win rate. By combining them you are saying that your win rate is 1.7BB/HR, but if you step into a 5/10 or 10/20 game that is most likely not going to be your expected win rate. By keeping them seperate you will have a better idea of what your actual win rate is at that limit. And of course, you have to play thousands and thousands of hands before you can actually get an accurate win rate.

TOURNEYS: Keep tourneys seperate from ring games for the simple fact that you aren't playing for Big Bets. Try to keep an hourly rate with tourneys - keep track of the number of hours you play and the money you have made in each tourney. You should also keep track of the tourneys you play seperately (MTT, Single, Speed, etc...) and get an hourly win rate for each type.

The tips, food and gas seem to be more of a budgetary concern and shouldn't factor into your win rate. But, if you are really concerned you could keep a seperate tab of how much you spend on misc. expenses. Hope this helps
Old 12-14-2004, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The tips, food and gas seem to be more of a budgetary concern and shouldn't factor into your win rate. But, if you are really concerned you could keep a seperate tab of how much you spend on misc. expenses. Hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree (in part). Dealer & waitress tips are an expense of playing, just as rake and jackpot drop (if any) are. Food is debatable. You have to eat no matter where you are, but if food costs are higher at the cardroom where you play, I'd be tempted to count them. Gas I'd leave off, but the tip to the valet is deducted. Your goal is to get as close to actual winrate as possible. Leave off tips and other expenses and your data will be off.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:38 PM

Thanks. I will adjust my spreadsheet so that it separates the 3/6 and 4/8 results. I didn't include my tournament participation in my calculations so I'll continue to keep that separate.

As for expenses I have determined it costs me $8 (tolls+gas) round trip to travel to my local game and about $75 (tolls+gas+food) round trip to go to AC.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:47 PM

Buy StatKing.