Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Common HU situation

So it's folded to SB, who raises. You know that he is able to raise 40-60% of hands in such situations and will bet 95% any flop and 85% any turn if you just called a flop, though he will bet river only if he has a good pair or good Ace or holding that cannot win in SD nearly never , and he can check-call river after you called flop and turn with A-high and good K-high (KT+) and any weak pair. Also he can fold to agression at any street if he feels you're better than him and he has no odds to proceed. So he played pretty decent HU out of position.

Ok, he raises, you call with 45s.

Flop is 25J-rainbow. And he bets...

What is your common answer here?

If you're limited only with 2 lines, what line do you prefer more and will use majority of the time?

1. You can raise as you want him not to catch his weak draws. You can take pot on turn or even right here as he can fold Q-high and K-high on the flop. Though you know he will 3-bet any 2,5,8, PP higher than 55 and good aces (AT+) or occasionally, good kings. Anyway you wouldn't fold till river until two card T+ fall on turn and river.

2. You can sweet call him and bet only if checked to you on turn or on river. But you will call him till river regardless of turn and river if he will bet.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Common HU situation

I like to mix it up. Use one of those one time and the other one the next.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:09 PM

I like like 1 best.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:13 PM

I prefer line 1, I think, because I don't want him to have cheap chances to catch his overcards. If I had the J instead, for a much less vulnerable pair, then I might want to string him along a little more.

B.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 PM

Given that he would call river with a good king, I prefer #2. It looks like a fishy line, but I think it is correct.

Also, if he will tend to continue betting on the turn with a king high, I am more inclined to go with #2. But I'm a little less inclined to go with #2 the more he check-raises.

For example: if he would bet flop & turn with king high and no aggression from you, and would then check-call river, I would rather play passively and go for a bigger pot even if I know he would fold to a flop raise.

Anyway, just my intuition. This could probably be worked out somewhat mathematically if anyone is inclined.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:49 PM

i like 1 - he is very likely drawing and i want to win the pot now

mixing it up isnt so important unless you have been at the same table for a long time and have had several such battles

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 12-14-2004, 09:09 PM

I like 2, its a method I'm starting to use a lot more.

If you play pretty predictably your raise says I have at least a pair, you can fold now.

Just calling says I might be weak, I might be on a draw, I may fold to continued aggression.

If you have position the call down method is best because he cant take a freecard.

If he had position on you then you have to bet the flop(checkraise or bet out) because he will check the turn and fold the river if he missed.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

my only reservation about raising the flop is that he'll often interpret that as weakness, because any big hand would wait for the turn to raise. I question whether this will get him to fold overs on the turn. I don't see how that gets us anywhere. I'd pop the turn if you don't think he'll 3-bet with a worse hand. this move is a lot stronger. it's how most people would play a set. I think that'll get him to fold. Also, if you raise the flop, he'll very rarely fold, so our main objective should be to get him to fold a worse hand with outs on the turn. I think raising the turn accomplishes that better than raising the flop.

then again, in such a small pot, I wouldn't mind if he called down with A-high
Old 12-14-2004, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my only reservation about raising the flop is that he'll often interpret that as weakness, because any big hand would wait for the turn to raise. I question whether this will get him to fold overs on the turn. I don't see how that gets us anywhere. I'd pop the turn if you don't think he'll 3-bet with a worse hand. this move is a lot stronger. it's how most people would play a set. I think that'll get him to fold. Also, if you raise the flop, he'll very rarely fold, so our main objective should be to get him to fold a worse hand with outs on the turn. I think raising the turn accomplishes that better than raising the flop.

then again, in such a small pot, I wouldn't mind if he called down with A-high

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think a flop call and turn raise is a good line. Usually you'll get a showdown for the same price as calling him down.

Since that wasn't in the original question, I like the first line when my opponent is passive. Since he's rather agressive in the example, I like the second line.

Justin A
Old 12-15-2004, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So it's folded to SB, who raises. You know that he is able to raise 40-60% of hands in such situations and will bet 95% any flop and 85% any turn if you just called a flop, though he will bet river only if he has a good pair or good Ace or holding that cannot win in SD nearly never , and he can check-call river after you called flop and turn with A-high and good K-high (KT+) and any weak pair. Also he can fold to agression at any street if he feels you're better than him and he has no odds to proceed. So he played pretty decent HU out of position.

Ok, he raises, you call with 45s.

Flop is 25J-rainbow. And he bets...

What is your common answer here?

If you're limited only with 2 lines, what line do you prefer more and will use majority of the time?

1. You can raise as you want him not to catch his weak draws. You can take pot on turn or even right here as he can fold Q-high and K-high on the flop. Though you know he will 3-bet any 2,5,8, PP higher than 55 and good aces (AT+) or occasionally, good kings. Anyway you wouldn't fold till river until two card T+ fall on turn and river.

2. You can sweet call him and bet only if checked to you on turn or on river. But you will call him till river regardless of turn and river if he will bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

if's he's open-raising with 33+, Ax, Kx, Qxs, Q4o+, J6s+, J8o+ then he's gonna be ahead 28% of the time.

he'll 3 bet me all of that and 16% of the time when i'm ahead (AK, AQ, AT, A2, K2, Q2s yielding about 6 outs to him). and he's folding otherwise? doesn't sound like line #1 makes me much.

if's he's ahead i've got no more than 5 outs, if i'm ahead he has on average 6 outs and no more than 7.5 (including the occasional backdoor flush).

in that situation and if he's the type to fold to resitance just sweet call him. the suckouts on the river will burn your throat but i think that's where the money is.