Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 PM

Default PP 15/30: Trying to protect Aces in a family capped pot.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (20.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

River: (28.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 32.50 BB

Is there another line available that helps protect my Aces a little better? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: PP 15/30: Trying to protect Aces in a family capped pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there another line available that helps protect my Aces a little better? Thanks for any input.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Just limping preflop will keep the pot smaller, allowing you to knock players out with your flop or turn raise. <font color="white">Of course, this strategy sucks, but that's not the question you asked. </font>
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM

You would also be missing a ton of value. You didnt cap. life is perfect, raise the flop
Old 12-15-2004, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Just limping preflop will keep the pot smaller, allowing you to knock players out with your flop or turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or even better, you could fold preflop because everyone knows aces don't play well in multiway pots. <font color="white"> Of course that would be utterly effing retarded. </font>
Old 12-16-2004, 02:31 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You played it fine.

b
Old 12-16-2004, 06:11 AM

Well this doesn't exactly protect your aces but I'd suggest checking the river. With that many people seeing the flop, it's pretty likely you're beat on the end.

Other than that I think you played it right.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Just limping preflop will keep the pot smaller, allowing you to knock players out with your flop or turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you tell him to fold pre-flop instead? Because limping in pre-flop is just bad of a play with AA.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:47 AM

Pre-flop is fine.

The pot is enormous now. Bet the flop, and re-raise if it comes back to you. You got a bazillion draws out there so make 'em all pay max price.

You should have bet the turn too. You aren't going to chase anyone out at this point with a good draw. Yes, you charge them double by check-raising the turn, but ultimately you want to maximize value for your aces.

River play is fine.

Very likely you may lose, but in a situation like this (and it's happened to me a few times), I've made well over 30 BB with AA in SB or BB by pumping and repumping when I figure I am the best. It's more than made up for the times lost.

Lawrence

Lawrence
Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 AM

Agreed. I think cranking away with these is better than getting cute with some kind of turn C/R.

i definitely think you win more in the long-run simply by playing these as fast as possible.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you tell him to fold pre-flop instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that wasn't the question he asked.

[ QUOTE ]
Because limping in pre-flop is just bad of a play with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like I said.