Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 09:40 AM

Default KTo UTG - scary turn

<font color="purple">OK... this is my first 5/10 6-max session. I played 1/2 6-max for about 18k hands (but that was about 7 months ago). I didn't enjoy the variance there, mostly due to my post flop play, which was questionable at times.... I've learned a few things since then.

My pf strategy for full ring games is pretty solid. I understand, for the most part, what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I take into consideration table dynamics, player styles, etc, but I'm struggling right now with my pf strategy for 6-max's. I am, currently, approaching pf in 2 different ways.

1. Using my current pf strategy, eliminating the first 4 players (UTG 6-max = MP2 full ring). So, with the current hand (KTo).. I am looking at folding this UTG and MP, raising first in from CO and button, limping from CO or button if there are 2 or more limpers, and completing in SB.

2. Using the short handed strategy from HPFAP when the game is 5-handed or less. This hand qualifies (any two cards 9 and higher).

First question: Is this a decent pf strat?

Table reads:
SB is LA-A... about 45/15/3.0(VPIP/PFR/AF)
BB is LP-A... about 35/3/1.1
The rest of the table is fairly passive, nobody plays well post flop.</font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, MP folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

<font color="purple">Using strategy #2. Table is passive and terrible post flop. I hate KTo, but it's 5 handed. I'm not very comfortable here.</font>

Flop: (3 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

<font color="purple">I feel this is pretty standard... I have position w/ 2 pr on a coordinated flop.</font>

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="purple">This absolutely sucks. The only thing going through my head is this guy would raise an Ace pf most of the time... A quick look at my notes shows that 3 of the top 7 pfr hands were Ace-rag offsuit. But he may have a 9. I also saw him play aggressive on the turn and river with bottom pair. I felt I would be ahead more than 50% here. Is folding a better play here? I think he may have c/r me w/ an Ace, but bet out about half the time w/ a 9. I dunno.... I might just be a fish at heart... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I decide to call down.</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: KTo UTG - scary turn

I fold this hand but if I do play it I open for a raise most of the time at 5/10 6 max. I would call the villan down and think you have the best hand. I also think he would CR a straight. I see QJ here alot or QT.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:13 AM

Raise or fold preflop. After the fact raising looks much better.

I think you fold here. The guy could easily be bluffing, but you've got to commit 2 BB to win 5.5 BB, which I think is too expensive. If this guy hasn't shown any past bluffing/trickiness, I think you fold.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:47 AM

I think looking at his stats is what helps me call down.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:59 AM

Yeah pf raise don't open limp. I'd call him down getting almost 3-1 on the call since ur implied odds make this about 5.7-2 or possibly even better since he is so agg and may 3bet an ace on the river if you fill up. I think you are close to even money here as it is, so I'd probably call down with even a bit less in the pot.

-Mike
Old 12-14-2004, 02:23 PM

the pot is not really large, so I am tempted to release and wait for a better spot.

but, with that said,

I think he would check an ace on the turn..
Old 12-14-2004, 02:44 PM

you're an idiot