Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 AM

Default Party 2/4, KK hand, bet into when an ace turns

The opponent in this hand is slightly loose preflop and aggressive post-flop. Seems like a decent player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: PantherZ is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">PantherZ 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">PantherZ bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">PantherZ 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>

My first impression on the flop was that he might be overaggressively semibluffing a flush draw, but then he bets into me again on the turn.

What's the best line here? Just call down? How about if the third club falls on the river?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Party 2/4, KK hand, bet into when an ace turns

My immediate read on UTG is AQ. That's good enough to raise preflop with, good enough to check/raise you on the flop, and good enough to bet into you again on the turn. But it's also not good enough to cap any of those streets.

If I had a firm read on UTG as a very solid player, I'd fold to his turn bet. Your read doesn't seem quite that definitive, so calling down could be an option...but I really do think you're well behind his two pair right now.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:44 AM

You're only getting 4:1 to call down here, and I have a difficult time seeing how a good player has a hand that you beat, even if he is aggressive. I guess you need to determine if he is aggressive enough to try to bluff you out with a hand like TT/JJ/KQ--and he would have to be fairly LAG to both call the flop three-bet and then bet the turn with TT/JJ.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're only getting 4:1 to call down here, and I have a difficult time seeing how a good player has a hand that you beat, even if he is aggressive. I guess you need to determine if he is aggressive enough to try to bluff you out with a hand like TT/JJ/KQ--and he would have to be fairly LAG to both call the flop three-bet and then bet the turn with TT/JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and Harv72B make some very good points. I really have a hard time laying down KK heads-up, and I tend to get overly stubborn with it.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Results

I called the turn bet. River was a blank. He bet, I called, and of course he showed me a winner with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My stupidity in calling down cost be two big bets, and it's a good example of not always going to a showdown with KK heads-up.