Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Where do I go wrong on this hand? there are lots of options :)

typical player, not bad, but not great either.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.70 BB

Is calling the flop here with 2 overs standard? Or should I just ditch to the PF 3 bet?

On the turn, I figure this is one of those spots that if he bets again, I am prolly behind, so I didnt want to checkraise, but I also didnt want to bet into him, cuz it looks suspicious and if he raises I cant consider it very reliable info. but I also dont want to give a free card. What do I do?

I bet the river, cuz I could see him checking a ton of hands here that I wanted to get a bet from. 3 betting a bit much? I should have figured that an AK or AQ or something, prolly isnt betting that turn so his raise I should give more merit. I dunno, I'm just really dissapointed with my play tonight.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Where do I go wrong on this hand? there are lots of options :)

I'd probaby loose as much as you did, but in a different order.

Lead the turn and call raise.

Lead again on the river and call a raise.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:09 AM

You don't think AK or AQ will bet the turn? Typically I keep firing until I get played back at (over-aggressive leak?) so is that out of the question? Also, if that AK or AQ has a spade, I could definitely see a turn bet. I think I might checkraise the turn - if you get 3-bet here, even with the flush possibility on board, then you almost have to be behind.

I like the river 3-bet after he raises - your line looks like you were either hanging around with an ace and hit the river or are bluffing a scare card or a flush. If he has AK then he might still raise the river. The cap is bit scary though. From your disappointment, it sure sounds like you lost this hand. . . I dunno, my advice on this board seems to be overly aggressive sometimes (often). . .
Old 12-14-2004, 01:24 AM

Call the river raise, normally I'd say 3bet but he could also have a flush, when he caps it I think probably a flush is more likely than AA or TT.

Calling the flop is fine unless he is a tight raiser.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:25 AM

I check/call
check/call
bet/call

definetly can't 3bet this river because of the flush and you obviously can't fold to a cap.

-DrG
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 AM

I don't think folding this flop is out of the question. There is a good chance that your overs aren't clean (and having no backdoor flush potential) and it appears you are against AQs or AKs on the river.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:19 AM

7.5 small bets in the pot pre-flop and lets say you're drawing to 5 outs which i think is very very generous. You're getting 8.5 to 1 on the call and your odds of hitting are 5:42 or 1 to 8.4. What are your implied odds given you don't know what outs are good? I'd say you're more likely to lose more money on the turn and the river then make +EV plays, so you have to be largely plus EV on the flop to call here. I also think 2 to 3 outs is more likely then 6 and i again think 5 is a generous estimate.

The flop call is basically neutral in the best conditions, and probably negative. The rest of the hand is quite likely to be -EV.

Fold the flop.

-JDanz

PS. This is conditional that the raiser must have at least 22 or At to raise, and discounts the possibility of kq which gives some small amount more EV, but not much given its likely hood compared to AA-22, AK-AT.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:23 AM

oh by the way if i called, i'd check raise the turn as you're very likely to see a bet, and then bet call the river. If you three bet you win one vs a worse hand, lose one to a set, lose two to a flush.

is %better hand &gt; then (Set+2xFlush) if yes three bet, i suspect the answer is no once confronted with the raise on the river.

Oh and if three bet on the turn i call and bet call the river.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:43 AM

Went wrong in calling on the flop with two overcards, when there are two of the same suit on the flop. Also went wrong on the river when you 3 bet the button with just two pair, when a flush and straight are out there.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:44 AM

Also, what did the guy have at the end?