Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 06:37 AM

Default KJo - BB flops OESD, gets check-raised.

I think my turn play was highly debatable. I bet the river intending to fold to a check-raise or fold if Any 2 raised and Tightish called.

BTW, the tight player is one of those guys who has been sitting at the table with like 9 BB for an hour and just hung on.

CO was typical.

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Any Two )</font> calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB <font color="#A500AF">(Tightish)</font> completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Tightish checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Any Two calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Tightish raises</font>, Hero calls, Any Two calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Tightish bets</font>, Hero calls, Any Two calls, CO folds.

River: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Tightish checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Any Two calls, Tightish calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Comments on all streets welcome. Anyone consider 3-betting the flop with loose passive callers behind? I think there are a lot of ways this could have gone differently.

NT
Old 12-13-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: KJo - BB flops OESD, gets check-raised.

i like your flop play the board is a rainbow so you are drawing at the winning hand and can somewhat count on ur overcard. If there is anywhere in this hand i would raise it would be the flop though cause you would take control of the hand for investment of one more sb and your hand is far from a winner yet. Considering how tite the sb is i guess a call on the turn is good no reason to invest more moeny your probably still behind. I like the value bet on the river only the idiot mite have u beat you obvioulsy have the sb beat.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:17 AM

Raise the turn.

A) You now have something to show down so protect it.
B) If you spike an Ace or a 9 on the river tightish might check to you. You cannot raise if tightish checks.

Stu
Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 AM

I raise the turn also.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:38 PM

Flop: No 3-bet is necessary here.

Definately raise the turn here and then follow with a bet on the river.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:44 PM

Flop call of Tightish raise is fine.

I would raise the turn.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:52 PM

I think I have to disagree with the majority here. Given your description I don't think you're ahead of SB ("tightish") very often on the turn so I would call hoping for the overcalls and to catch the straight or another K. It doesn't make sense to me to try to protect your hand if you're behind at that point and I really believe you were. I would have played this the same on all streets.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:45 PM

On the turn do we want to force Any Two out, or do we want him to stay in?

(this is assuming he'd fold to a turn raise but call a single bet)

-Grendel
Old 12-13-2004, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn do we want to force Any Two out, or do we want him to stay in?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really care since I think I'm behind and anything I improve to will probably beat him or split (in which case he's calling anyway). Of course I'm not really thinking of the Jacks as clean outs when I say that.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

If Any 2 has, well, any draw, including a number of draws that are dead, he's calling the raise cold. That's why they call him Any 2. He's great.

When I was check-raised by the tight player here I felt strongly that it indicated a good but not great hand. This is why I was unhappy with my turn play. Perhaps, also, the fact that he check-called the river solidified my read that he had a medium queen, and hindsight is 20/20. The only hand I feared from him on the river was AQ, and I felt it was unlikely.

I think the turn play is close but probably a raise. I might have the opportunity to take a free showdown here if a card I don't like falls on the river, and I might well be ahead.

However, my read proved a bit off.
Results: Tight player mucks Q6s, A2C mucks T3o, MHIG.

NT