Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 11:12 PM

Default NL Tournament Question: Did I play this right?

Ok, folks, this has been bothering me all day. I was in a live tournament today, $60 buy-in, about 55 players. $3000 in tournament chips for each player and $100/$200 blinds to start. My table was pretty fast and loose from the start. Two players eliminated in the first two hands. The guy who won the first hand (who will play the part of the villain in the scenario to follow) actually called all-in on the flop with only second pair and a backdoor flush/straight draw. So now we're at the third hand of the tourney and here's what happened:
Blinds 100/200
Hero is one off the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
One limper immediately to hero's right.
Hero raises to 500
Button and SB fold, BB raises to 1200
Both players call.
Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Both players check to hero.
Hero pushes all in with his remaining 1700
BB calls and shows 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
My question is this: Where did I go wrong? Did I not raise enough preflop? Should I have folded to the raise? Was the all-in bet on the flop too aggressive? Or did I simply have bad luck?
Given his play on the first hand of the tourney, I made this opponent out to be a very weak player, so when he raised me, I figured him for any pair or two big suited cards. When he checked the flop, I ruled out a big pair, leaving a small pair or two overcards. I wanted to get him out if he had the two overcards, especially with a possible flush draw on the board. I think I played the hand well, but I'm always looking for a second opinion. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Re: NL Tournament Question: Did I play this right?

Don't know that it would've mattered in the end, but your preflop bet was weak. Looking at a limper behind you and you bet 2.5x? I call if I expect multiway and play for the set, or bet 4.5x here.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 PM

i would call pre-flop and play for set value, especially in a tournament where it seems very unlikely you'll steal the blinds and the limp.

pushing the flop is fine. you have few chips relative to the pot, you could very well be ahead right now, and almost any turn card is a scare card for you.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 PM

fold when raised preflop?
you are a big favorite to win preflop.
I think you played fine. Just bad luck.
When 88 vs 77, 77 flop a set. There is nothing you can do.

The BB played well, trapped you with a set.
Such trap is hard to get away.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would call pre-flop and play for set value, especially in a tournament where it seems very unlikely you'll steal the blinds and the limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this the best advice in this thread.

Aren't you pretty much pot committed to this hand if you call the BB re raise ? Although I see no value in re raising when it comes back to you, I do like the play of limping. If you limp how do you play it after the flop ? I probably would have made the same play than regretted it despite that it was probably the right thing to do.

Unless you have magical reading skills I see no way to get away from this.

I can't lay this down pre flop after the re raise because it sounds like the tournament structure sucks and definetly encourages gambling.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:14 PM

Your preflop actions suck. Since you aren't stealing the blinds, you should limp for set value, but, OK, you raised. When the BB reraises you you have two choices: push (only if you think he's full of it) or fold.

Also, once a LAG like this checks the flop he either has a monster or nothing at all. Since this is live, you might be able to pick up a read before autopushing.