Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Not good - Internet Texas Hold\'em

i recently i made several posts on books. in said posts i mentioned that i thought "Internet Texas Hold'em" was a book that was NOT worth reading. i received several responses that indicated i was incorrect. therefore, this weekend i reread it - or part of it was all i could get through - it was clear that my original opinion was correct - this book is NOT good.

here are two scary examples i recall from the book.
1. you have QJs on the button, it is folded to a early mid position player who raises, another mid position player calls, the players in between fold, you call, ......it continues from there. it addresses what to do after a Q flops. the scary part about this problem is that calling 2 bets cold with QJs is a loosing play, it could only be correct if several more players had also called the 2 bets. you are easily dominated here, and it is a clear fold vs 2 opponents who probably have "real" hands.
2. you have QJs in the cutoff, it is folded to you you raise, it is raised again, and reraised back to you, you cap.....it continues from here, with the question being about the flop. however, capping here is incorrect. while the initial raise was a good play in most games after a raise and reraise, the likelihood of your hand being best is not good, capping here is incorrect, and will cost you $. the book seemed filled with these types of mistakes.

i stand by my earlier posted recommendations, and reiterate that this book is not worth reading.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Not good - Internet Texas Hold\'em

I believe that the book states that these hands were taken from ACTUAL online hands, and that the plays leading up to the specific question MAY NOT be correct. The question asked refers ONLY to the question asked, and the play before the exact situation is NOT necessarily how you should play. You are just supposed to answer the question GIVEN that the former actions had occured.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:48 AM

Maybe you should try reading the whole book next time before you pass judgement.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:15 PM

i had ALREADY read the book, and thought it was not good. due to the responses i received, i decided to reread it. yes the 2nd time i onlty read part, and then skimmed though parts , probably actually reading about 1/2. and it was not good.

and no the examples where not responses to questions. they were questions the author was asking based on the previous qustion.

i think there are many better books, and in my opinion this book has a lot of incorrect information.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i had ALREADY read the book, and thought it was not good. due to the responses i received, i decided to reread it. yes the 2nd time i onlty read part, and then skimmed though parts , probably actually reading about 1/2. and it was not good.

and no the examples where not responses to questions. they were questions the author was asking based on the previous qustion.

i think there are many better books, and in my opinion this book has a lot of incorrect information.

[/ QUOTE ]

the author also capitalizes the initial word in each sentence and the pronoun "i", which i feel is incorrect and not good.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:48 PM

And he, MOSTLY, uses periods to end sentences;
Old 12-12-2004, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and no the examples where not responses to questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

he also doesn't begin sentences with CONJUNCTIONS which cannot be good.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and no the examples where not responses to questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

he also doesn't begin sentences with CONJUNCTIONS which cannot be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's really nothing wrong with doing that outside of high school.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

in the second example, is it with a 5 bet cap? if you open raise from teh CO and a blind 3-bets, you I'd cap with just about any hand. you know he's raising light and for the cost of 1 SB you gain initiative in the hand, which makes it easier to play, and places the burden back on the blind, even if you're putting money in as a small underdog. I doubt that's what the example is stating though
Old 12-13-2004, 03:09 AM

Amulet wrote:

"i recently i made several posts on books. in said posts i mentioned that i thought "Internet Texas Hold'em" was a book that was NOT worth reading. i received several responses that indicated i was incorrect. therefore, this weekend i reread it - or part of it was all i could get through - it was clear that my original opinion was correct - this book is NOT good."

Your writing skills "is NOT good."

Frank