Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Quick exit in the 3k NL @ 5 diamond

3k NL @ Bellagio today. about 375-400 players, not sure, wasn't there long enough to get an official count [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hand #1 the villain limps UTG w/ QTo, nothing really fancy happens here, just for information for the next hand.

Hand #9, I'm BB, villain limps UTG+1, UTG+2 limps, folded to me and I check w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

flop: 974 rainbow.

I bet 100, both call.

turn: [9]974 completing the rainbow

I bet 300, UTG+1 makes it 2500 more, I move in for another 2500 roughly. I have him covered and he calls instantly w/ 44... w/ the size of his raise on the turn, is there anyway I can get off this hand?? I'd have an easier time if he make it like 1k more, but 2500 more made me think he had 88, 98, T9, J9, etc. I never for a second put him on a set.

comments??

Gavin Griffin
Old 12-11-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Quick exit in the 3k NL @ 5 diamond

[ QUOTE ]
hand #1 the villain limps UTG w/ QTo, nothing really fancy happens here, just for information for the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could definitely be advertising, but obviously I didn't see the player.

My question is whether or not this player would bluff off half of his stack (for a ridiculous overbet) against a player who checked his big blind on a raggedy board.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I also don't see him wanting to play a big pot with T9/J9 here. Maybe I'm not greedy enough early in tournaments, but especially against the big blind, I'd be playing those hands for a small pot. Were he to actually have held T9 in that situation, it would be a classic example of an overbet that would only be called by a much stronger hand. (Would you have come over the top there with AA? T9 yourself? I'd hardly think so.)

That's my two cents. No ace on the river, then, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your results. this hand is ugly. You didnt mention size of the blinds, im assuming 15-30 or 25-50ish. and we assume the villain has fairly loose hand selection from his Q10 UTG hand. Otherwise we know nada. ok. You flop TPTK, and you bet the pot im assuming or close to it. Both call. On the turn, you hit trip nines with A kicker. You lead out bet 300, and get reraised to 2500. Wow. I dont know what to think of that reraise. His huge reraise screams of weakness, but im seeing more and more of these huge reraises with nut type of hands these days. I agree, this hand is very hard to muck. But being early in the event, and the high buy-in nature (high buy-in for me at least), I would have to muck and wait for a better oppurtunity. You still have alot of chips, over 5K I assume. Tough call, none the less, sorry again, and did i say this hand was ugly?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 PM

this early, i think it's a fairly routine fold when you are raised on the turn.

-SossMan
Old 12-11-2004, 06:40 PM

I know this would be a tough laydown, but the flop call and turn raise seems more like two-pair or a set then a top pair hand that turned trips, but I am still not sure you can get away from this hand. I just think he would have raised or bet the flop with a 9.

I played in the $2.5k limit tourney yesterday, I was sitting next to Paul Darden when you stopped by, I didn't realized you posted on 2+2, if I see you again I will introduce myself. I am here until Dec. 18th. My final hand in the limit tourney was 99 (me) vs. 77 (villan) on a 954r flop with limits at 300-600. 3 bets pre-flop, 4 on the flop, 2 on the turn and my final 150 on the river. Unfortunately, the turn was an 8 and the river a 6. Yuck.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:41 PM

yeah, if I fold I have over 5k and the blinds are 25/50, I guess it comes down to this: I couldn't see him raising so big w/ a hand that beat me and I figured it was a good spot to pick up a ton of chips against some of the weaker money in the tournament. Was looking for a CDU(Courtesy Double Up) I guess... oh well, the more I think about it the more I think that there was no way I could get away from the hand here... I think if he had made it 1200 or 1500 more I might have been able to. thanks for the comments

Gavin Griffin
Old 12-11-2004, 06:53 PM

I think if he had made it 1200 or 1500 more I might have been able to

that's dangerous thinking...especially if you are going to post that on a public forum.
-SossMan
Old 12-11-2004, 07:38 PM

I think what makes his play on the turn so profitable is that the raise doesn't look like a value bet at all. In that spot, I would assume he would make a smaller raise or simply smooth call the turn. I don't see how you could dump it on the turn. Tough break

KP22
Old 12-11-2004, 07:57 PM

Sorry about your early exit. Here are my thoughts. At that stake you are probably against decent competition and also against someone who knows how you play from watching espn. For example your opponent could have been me. I would definitly have checked my set at this stage of the tourney thinking that I have a monster and I want to slowplay it. I would never have raised 2500 cause I want to get paid off but maybe it is a good play to overbet here to induce a call or raise. Another point to consider is that 2500 as a bluff is totally out of line. If it is not a bluff can you put him on an overpair based on his preflop limp. I answer that no! Since you don't know this guy well eneogh to know if he is capable of making a totally rediculous play it seems to me that the most logical hand he could have is a pocket pair that has hit. Also remember that you are a celeb now and a lot of people know that you play good cards, if your opponent was good eneogh maybe he read you perfectly and figured he could get a way with overbetting the pot or maybe he was just scared and overbet out of fear. Who knows? Anyway I think next time this comes up you can maybe toss the hand in while the getting is good. btw I played at your table at PS not too long ago. My name there is Tee555. Good luck bro.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:16 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Early In Tourney...But An Overbet

I definetely see why you lost the tourney on this hand.

You've seen him play Q/10 with a limp, hoping for a lucky flop. And despite some posts that state that the 3K buy-in means that every player in the field has to be good, I disagree. There are plenty of fish with deep pockets who'll play the 3K, 5K and 10K buy-in events, IMHO.

Checking with the A/9 in the BB is a bit strange to me. Granted, it's not a great hand, and it is early. But you're letting those limpers get in easy and not playing agressive enough. Although in this situation I don't think a raise from you would have pushed out the 4/4, it might have induced a re-raise forcing you to dump your hand pre-flop.

flop: 974 rainbow.

I bet 100, both call.

So anyway, pot size I'm guessing is about 500 chips, 10% of your starting stack?

turn: [9]974 completing the rainbow

I bet 300, UTG+1 makes it 2500 more,

So you've got a pot of roughly 800 chips after your turn bet, and he raises more than 3 times the pot size? This is extremely odd. Why is a dude going to risk more than half his starting stack, this early in the tournament, to win an 800 chip pot?

My thought process would be:

1. This guy is betting waaaay too much. Maybe he was slow-playing a pocket pair (don't consider a set yet) like 10/10, J/J and wants me to go away before I hit my overcard?

2. Maybe the guy has hit the 7 on the flop and when he catches two pair sees you might have a flush draw and wants to push you out before the river?

3. Maybe he has the final 9 also, and got overexcited and couldn't wait to get his money into the pot.

4. I still can't put him on the flopped 4/4 or 7/7 hands because his overbet screams for you to drop your hand, not to call him.

I would probably have busted out here also, with the set on the turn with top kicker. You can't put him on limping with 7/9, 4/9, 7/4.