Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 PM

Default How bad was this play?

Okay, Pokerroom 50+4 MTT tourney. First time I've played one, got in on a satellite. It's past the first break and blinds are just about to go up. Table at this point is pretty solid, nobody making crazy plays, most showdowns are two solid hands against one another.

Here's the deal.
9 handed, hero in MP2
SB t1450
BB t2600
Hero t4200 (8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])
Villain t1650

2 folds to Hero, Hero calls t150, fold to button, button raises to $600, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t600.

t1425 in pot, 2 handed.
Flop:2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villain bets t1050, Hero Calls.

t3600, 2 handed, 1 all in.
Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
River: Blank.

results: Villain shows 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I just need commentary here all the way around.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: How bad was this play?

a turn fold is ok. u only invested 600, there are 2 overcards. people move allin like that wiuth Mid Pair so I figure to be behind over 70% of the time.

why did u call?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM

Your play was atrocious.

Limping with 88??? Im assuming you are the big stack. Open raising and folding would be better options than simply calling.

You call a 1000 dollar bet with two overcards to your pair? What did you think you had beat, 72o?, a pure bluff?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:00 AM

Okay, now I feel better.

I posted this hand backwards. I was the guy with the 72off, and I figured if I posted it as 88, it might become clear to me why this person did what they did. After I posted, still not clear. And you guys don't get it either.

The other side of the hand I can explain. Pure bluff steal and resteal. Then I got lucky. The table had been pretty solid so far, I figured with that flop and a check from 88 I was good to resteal.

And no she wasn't the big stack. She was a mid stack. I incorrectly assumed she'd respect my table image.

BTW, several people told me how horrible my play was. I thought that was kinda funny.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:38 AM

I don't like your play either. You're risking over 1/3 of your stack hoping that you can get the player to fold pre-flop. Then you bet all-in on the flop with bottom pair once again hoping that your opponent will fold.

Now when you look at your opponents play you realize you had no folding equity with them. They called your reraise with 88 and then called your push when there were two overcards on the board.

So your play was bad, not because you had 72o, but because you did this move against someone that just wasn't going to fold against you. If you want to make a move with a hand that is very unlikely to hit against someone that is weak tight and will likely fold then thats not so bad but against a calling station it's aweful.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:03 AM

At what point did I say this player was a calling station? I said play at this table had been pretty solid. If I had viewed this player as a calling station I would have folded.

I saw this player as someone smart enough to fold PreFlop. I didn't push in case she called, so I could push her off on the flop, if I felt the flop would let me. If she had raised preflop, or bet post flop, I would have folded.

Understand.. the 2 on the flop was nice, but irrelevant. I wasn't betting a pair of 2s. I was restealing. Now was the resteal a good idea?

I think it was. That limp said to me small or mid pair, suited connectors, or possibly two big cards. On the flop, she checked. I'm a small stack, and I've been folding to raises when I got nothin'. If she hit either of the big cards, she'd probably bet to force me out. OR she could have bet a small amount to see if I really had the big pair. That check said to me... I hope I get to see the turn card. So I pushed to resteal.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:26 AM

Why force things when someone has already shown interest in the pot. As a shorstack you have to maximize the leverage you have, you have another whole orbit to catch a reasonable hand or to attempt a steal by being first in the pot, blinds are more likely to fold because they are random hands. People limp for a reason, their hand is better than random.

With reading the check as a sign of weakness the resteal doesn't seem that bad to me, not that good, but not horrible. The real problem is putting yourself in a spot where that is a possible outcome.