Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Q9s in bb

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Typical 1/2 loose/passive game on pp. Not very many reads on people. utg and utg+1 seem to have been playing too loose.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

I flop flush draw. Lately I have been trying to play post flop more aggressively. utg+1 probably hit something and will raise.. is betting out like this just a bad idea when I knew there was a raise coming? I guess im not sure how to play this draw in this position...

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB
Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Q9s in bb

this is a perfect spot to check/raise the flop. you want to check, let the preflop raiser bet into the field and have as many people as possible call. then you raise while you have an edge. betting out could have screwed you, it allowed UTG+1 to raise which forces the whole field to call 2 cold. you want as many people in this pot as possible with each contributing as many bets as possible. consider the situation and choose the line which will get you the most profit in the long run.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:47 AM

Hey Given,
The flop bet is correct. In fact, you should 3bet the flop here for value. After calling 2 cold, there is no way that MP1 or the button will fold for one more bet, and you only need 2 callers for this to be a value bet. The rest of the hand is fine.

-Jaran
Old 12-09-2004, 03:50 AM

jaran,

you dont think a check/raise would be better given hero's position to the preflop raiser?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:54 AM

I think a check-raise would work better. You can't count on people calling two bets cold all the time. You can cant on them calling pre-flop raiser's bet, because he is loose.
Also, if he re-raises, you can cap it. Make the pot big.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:55 AM

what if this had happened instead?

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, MP1 folds , Button folds , Hero calls, UTG folds.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Given,
The flop bet is correct. In fact, you should 3bet the flop here for value. After calling 2 cold, there is no way that MP1 or the button will fold for one more bet, and you only need 2 callers for this to be a value bet. The rest of the hand is fine.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer a flop checkraise.

Otherwise, nice hand.

Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 04:57 AM

Is this a strategy to use all the time or should you try to variate, say every hand or every third hand . Not to be as much predictable I mean?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:25 AM

See A definitive guide to playing flush draws, the thread by Ajax and this will show you how to really build those pots big when you have a flush draw because hey, you got %35 pot equity and this is good. Plus building big pots is fun.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:35 AM

I prefer a check raise on the flop as well due to your position relative to the preflop raiser.