Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is ChristinaB really a liberal?
No, she is a conservative pretending to be a really stupid liberal 3 14.29%
Yes, she is a liberal 18 85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 AM

Default What\'s *your* Standard Deviation?

I posted the same question to the SH forum -- time to ask all you full-table small stakes folks the same question!

Please round to the nearest #, and post insightful commentary after you've voted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: What\'s *your* Standard Deviation?

I gotta think this will vary a lot depending on site, and level as well as just what type of player you are... 2/4 I have a much higher SD than I have at 3/6 at party for example
Old 12-09-2004, 02:33 AM

3/6 Party, 14.8BB/100
Old 12-09-2004, 04:07 AM

Frankly, I don't know what it is or where to find it. I don't know how it would help me to know it.

And this is AFTER I just read Mason's explanation of it. Seemed like a lot of work just to find out I'll probably need a 300 BB bankroll anyways.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, I don't know what it is or where to find it. I don't know how it would help me to know it.

And this is AFTER I just read Mason's explanation of it. Seemed like a lot of work just to find out I'll probably need a 300 BB bankroll anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Finding it is easy if you have PokerTracker (I assume you do since you datamine): go to the "Session Notes" tab and click on the "More Detail..." button. This opens a window with SD figures near the bottom.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Finding it is easy if you have PokerTracker (I assume you do since you datamine): go to the "Session Notes" tab and click on the "More Detail..." button. This opens a window with SD figures near the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh thanks then. It's 15.5. What does it mean?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's 15.5. What does it mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I tried to answer this question I said this:

In English, Mason Malmuth likes to say that SD is a measure of short term luck. Does that do it for you?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. SD is a measure of the range of your results. A big SD might mean you have big winning sessions but also big losing sessions. A small SD might mean you win consistently win small, without big swings.

More specifically, if your winrate is 3 BB/100 with SD=15.5 BB/100, it says that if you looked at a bunch of random 100 hand samples, 68% of the time you would win between 18.5 and -12.5 BB.

It's reflective of your style of play and the games you play in. A LAG player would likely have a larger SD than a typical player. Playing in very loose games would probably also result in a larger SD. SD=15.5 BB/100 is a typical value, as I think this poll will show.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:36 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it's probably a lot of work just to find out that you need 400+ BB
Old 12-09-2004, 08:49 AM

0.5/1 = 17.26

1/2 = 16.58

2/4 = 14.26

in BB/100
Old 12-09-2004, 02:00 PM

So far people seem to be pretty consistent -- near 15BB/100 for both small stakes and microlimit.