Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 AM

Default uncommon all-in situation

This situation came up a while back and I'm not sure what the best way to handle it would be.

You've got QQ or better in middle-ish position, a guy to your right raises and puts himself all-in. Do we 3-bet here isolating the all-in guy? I 3-bet and guess what flopped? QQ4. Luckily for me the button called 3 cold and I won a nice pot, but I would have been more than upset if all had folded and I had only won 4 small bets on this. whats the correct move?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:11 AM

Default Re: uncommon all-in situation

This is an interesting situation. I am interested in knowing some other answers on this. On first thought, I believe that because you have a strong pot equity edge before the flop, raising is always correct in this situation. However, that doesn't work out, because you're not making any more money off your bet if the rest of the table folds.

I think that it would always be incorrect in this situation to raise for isolation purposes, but if you have loose players behind you that frequently cold-call, then raising seems like the correct play. I suppose it's also important to look at how much his all in is. If he goes all in for 1.01 bets, then a raise is likely not going to hurt. But if it's 1.99 BB, then it could be a different story.

Freakin
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 AM

Raising in this spot would always be correct. You want to isolate the player all-in. If you dont raise you let in Ax and Kx for cheap and that would be disasterous when a A or K flops. then your QQ is no good. Even if everyone folds and you win a small pot is better than losing period!
JMO
Old 12-08-2004, 07:57 AM

I agree totally with this. AA, maybe you flat call and invite others in, KK if you like a little risk, but QQ is too vulnerable in these type spots. Unless, of course, you know the flop is coming QQ4 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless, of course, you know the flop is coming QQ4 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a good pattern mapper for that, mine isnt quite there yet... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]