Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 01:55 PM

Default JJ - On the Bubble vs UTG Raise

UTG has around 30K and has been preflop miniraising alot. Folded to me in MP3, and I have JJ and around 6K chips. Blinds are 600/1200 and we are down to 22 people. 10-20 pay only 1% prize pool. Im currently in 19 place. I pushed this without hesitation. This seemed like a good time to try and double up. If I won I stand a better chance at making the final table. If I lose I only forfeit a small amount of the prize money. Was this the correct play?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: JJ - On the Bubble vs UTG Raise

I think pushing here is a good play. Even though the raise was UTG, being on the bubble means he could be raising with all sorts of hands...I know I do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That said, I have a feeling you ran into a higher pair. It happens, more often than not you'll be up against a hand you have dominated, and that's about all you can ask for in a tourney. Especially late.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 PM

Im rolling with JJ here. I guess you ran into AA or KK here or maybe AK too bad but hey thats why they call it gambling. You arent guaranteed to even cash and you picked up the 4th strongest hand in the game time to roll those dice baby.....
Old 12-07-2004, 02:35 PM

Ran into A8o. My read on him was right. Was suprised he called my push with that hand. I had been playing fairly tight the entire tourney. My question was more based on the prize pool. With 10-20 only paying 2x buyin it seemed like a no brainer to gamble on the bubble for a better chance to make the final table and score some bigger cash.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Don't question your play here, easy push given the circumstances. IMO, his call was iffy. I sure as hell wouldn't call an ai with A8o. Then again....you were pretty shortstacked.

Eh. That's poker.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM

Ill go further unless the guy was a huge stack its a garbage call with A8o. There are so many times he will be dominated here it just is a flat bad call.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:24 PM

hate to do this to you zaxx, but its math time. There is 10,200 in the pot (1800 in blinds, 2400 raise, 6000 from the hero) and UTG has to call 3600 more. He's getting just a hair less than 3-1. You are right, its a fold, but just barely.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, im mainly trying to make the point that if you analyze the math behind situations then you'll situations arent quite as cut and dry as you think.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:32 PM

Well actually he is getting odds to call against JJ here. And he is just short if he is up against a bigger Ace.

The only hand of concern is AA.