Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Playing split aces.

Let's say the bring in is on your right and you have split aces. Do you raise the bring in? Or do you wait for a later street to pop it?

Here are the problems I see:
1.) If you raise, you probably won't force anybody out.
2.) If you wait, you are likely going to be betting first on following rounds cause you have the ace showing.

The good point about raising is that you most likely have the best hand, and are charging others. However, you are creating a big pot and the whole "making your opponents play correctly on later streets" thing.

What is your strategy?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Playing split aces.

Hi BeerMoney -

how big is the ante? how big is the bringin? what is your kicker? how live are your aces, your kicker, and any associated draws you might have? what are the other cards that are out? how likely are your opponents to think you are trying to steal? how likely are your opponents to bet into an ace on a later street?

the fact is that i don't limp with those aces very often. but when i do, it's because the answers to those questions i just asked aren't favorable.

cepstrum
Old 12-07-2004, 02:24 PM

This is a joke, right?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 PM

Hey, be nice. BeerMoney: I think Sklansky et al. have pretty definitively established that raising is almost always correct. Of course, you need to mix up your game some, but just about always raise. (Oh, and re: making them play correctly on later streets... why let them play correctly, crucially, on third?)

You should also, remember, be raising with quite a few hands that have an ace in the door that are not aces. *That's* where most of your ace-deception comes in.

--Nate
Old 12-07-2004, 02:33 PM

hes not joking at all

he's the same jackass who slowplays buried pairs in stud because he thinks its a waste to just win the antes

how should you play your split aces? how about limp in, then check-call on every street and then grumble how 3 different people outdrew you by the river

mike
Old 12-07-2004, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let's say the bring in is on your right and you have split aces. Do you raise the bring in? Or do you wait for a later street to pop it?

Here are the problems I see:
1.) If you raise, you probably won't force anybody out.
2.) If you wait, you are likely going to be betting first on following rounds cause you have the ace showing.

The good point about raising is that you most likely have the best hand, and are charging others. However, you are creating a big pot and the whole "making your opponents play correctly on later streets" thing.

What is your strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can wait to raise. While in a low limit game you are not going to get a heads up hand by raising, I dont think you can say that it won't force anyone out. It may force out stronger players who you should be more concerned about anyway, and it is still better to play against say 4 players then 7-8. Raising will also make your hand appear stronger and if you pair your board you may be able to get some of the drawing hands out that will beat you on the river. In addition to getting more money in the pot when your aces hold up. The only time I could see limping with this hand is if your other aces are dead
Old 12-07-2004, 03:06 PM

Location: NorthWest US - the part of it where there\'s no card clubs.

In this particular situation: Raise
If both aces are out and there is more than one opponent behind you: Pass
Old 12-07-2004, 03:17 PM

I raise essentially every time. If they fold, great. If they call, great. I see it as win-win.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:39 PM

You want to limit the field to as small as possible. Raise.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hes not joking at all

he's the same jackass who slowplays buried pairs in stud because he thinks its a waste to just win the antes

how should you play your split aces? how about limp in, then check-call on every street and then grumble how 3 different people outdrew you by the river

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry douchebag, I was just trying to get some discussion on something that I didn't realize was that obvious. Timmer, someone who I consider to know the game on a deeper level made a comment when I said playing a flush draw was straightforward that got me thinking.
He said "The Oh, I have aces, so I always raise mentality...."

And, in fact I've played with other people from this very forum who crush online stud games, and asked them what they had after raising the bring in in late position with an ace showing..

Me: Did you have the aces?
Them: No. Three flush. I don't like to raise aces from late position.

Its my understanding that 7 stud is a game of knocking people out of pots. This becomes a challenge if people are calling off a lot of bets on early streets. So, in closing, blow me.