Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 04:41 AM

Default How do you handle suckouts?

I currently play in $6 Turbos on Stars. And there is a steady stream of suckouts in these games. It is probably the same at all levels. I curse so much my dog gets scared and leaves the room. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

How do you handle suckouts? My goal is to be one of those players who just types "nh" in the chat box, but instead I type profanities. Any advice on the mental approach to poker and the (bad) luck factor involved is much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: How do you handle suckouts?

I've been on the losing end of a lot of suckouts lately, and all i can say is this. If you can't handle the suckouts, don't play poker. They're there, they happen. You can blow through $200 in a day at .25-.50 NL tables on suckout after suckout and all you can do is shrug and accept it. The best way to deal with it is to not get too attached to your money, 'cause sometimes there's nothing you can do but watch it slip out of your fingers.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you handle suckouts? My goal is to be one of those players who just types "nh" in the chat box, but instead I type profanities. Any advice on the mental approach to poker and the (bad) luck factor involved is much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time you get your money in with the best of it, you did the right thing, and you should be happy about it. Period.

If you're a smart, winning gambler, you understand EV. Why be upset about making good bets? This is the whole point of advantage gambling, after all.

eastbay
Old 12-07-2004, 04:50 AM

I think that in SNGs your mental outlook is more important than in ring games. One mistake and you are done. Going on tilt can cost you several buy-ins by the time you calm down. After a bad beat I simply look to see if I had the best hand at the time my chips went in, after that it is out of my control. It's poker and the longer you play, the more of that kind of stuff is going to happen. I would imagine that you have been the suck-er just as many times as you have been the suck-ee.

You can also go to twodimes.net or replay the hand in PokerTracker, and see what the real percentages were. You'll find, most of the time you weren't that far ahead. The times that you are that far ahead, keep telling yourself that you will take that call every time and be a long term winner.

P.S.
Posting your bad beats just pisses everyone off . . . and stop scaring your dog.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:24 AM

badly
Old 12-07-2004, 06:27 AM

Play four at a time and the suck-outs don't hurt at all. Of course I'm assuming you're adequately bankrolled, that is.

I get infinitely more angry when I am outplayed, because it confirms that I am not ready to be a bad-ass professional player.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 AM

completely agree with the last post. if youre playing 3 or 4 at a time, the suckout doesnt hurt at all. maybe because that one tournament didnt kill you. the concept applies when playing one at a time also, but usually youre so committed to winning that one tournament a bad beat can get you really irritated.

no reason to even think about it or tell yourself if it was a good bet in my opinion, just move on. i tilt easily when i play one a time but when im playing multiple tables i dont even think i just hop in another. i have a pad and spreadsheet in front of me that tell me im doing something right.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:28 AM

I smashed a mouse against my wall once, but that was 3 months ago... now I just laugh and type "nh?". The more you play the less you care. Plus when it gets HU I get in my fair share of suckouts pushing K8 into a tighty who calls with his AQ and can't stop calling me a fish when I hit.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
completely agree with the last post. if youre playing 3 or 4 at a time, the suckout doesnt hurt at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. The only thing to try to keep in mind while multi-tabling is to make sure your suckouts on one or two of them don't affect your play on the others. Also, try not to think "boy, i'm OOTM on 2 of the 4 i had running, now i've GOT to finish first in at least one of the remaining ones". I find putting extra pressure on yourself while on semi-tilt is very self-destructive.

As far as the suckouts themselves, whenever I showdown, I switch my attention to another game and only look after the fact whether the chips slide my way or not. If I HAVE to look at the screen then I try to guess how I will be sucked out (runner, runner flush or straight; quads, gutshot draw, etc.) -- that way it's less of a shock when it happens and I get award myself a 5pt bonus for correctly guessing the suckout.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:56 AM

The thing that I keep telling myself is that the majority of profit in poker comes from the players that are willing to put there money in with the worst of it.

Remember that even AA vs 22 will loose about one time in five, but it is the four times that you win where your profit comes from.

Hope this helps