Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Straightforward chipectomy, or brain surgery?

Any comments on my ability to extract the max here?

UTG limps and I limp with 55 in a pretty juicy PP 15/30 game. It's folded to an aggressive cutoff who raises. Big blind and utg call, and I call.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Yummy.

I check, cutoff bets, BB drops, utg calls, I raise.
Cutoff 3-bets, utg cold-calls, I smooth-call.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Me no mind.

I check-raise and both opponents call.

River A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I decide to represent two middle pair and check-raise again.

UTG folds to cutoff's bet and cutoff calls.

The trifecta! Cutoff had AQ.

Comments? And, since I'm developing a medical metaphor, should I be able to treat myself for the sprained elbow I'm getting from patting myself on the back?

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Straightforward chipectomy, or brain surgery?

I think I would cap the flop and lead the turn...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would cap the flop and lead the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:43 PM

two reasons.

1) he could be raising for a free-card, so whil this is rarely the case it is valid as my line gets you a number of extra bets if this is true

2) the turn check/raise kills your river action and you are foregoing getting more than 3 total bets on the last two streets this way..

the way it worked out for you was pretty nice, but on average I think the chance at getting in 3 bets on a big street combined with the small number of times the turn gets checked around makes my line a viable option.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:40 PM

What hands on this board will opponents three-bet a check-raiser with FOR A FREE CARD? It seems VERY rare that K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] would play the hand this way, especially since it means facing BB with two bets while holding only a draw, at a time when he'd rather have more callers. So I don't think it's likely that he checks the turn.

I got four bets on the turn and was guaranteed one on the river, since I would have bet if the A hadn't paired. Do you think I would have got THREE on the river by coming to life and betting out, simply hoping for a maniacal late raise from TP2K (which, again, would cost me a call from BB)?

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 PM

I've never gotten a triple check-raise in, congrats.

I think this is all you wanted, because the moves you made were very risky. I like stox idea that if you capped the flop and lead the turn, CO might have gotten stubborn and still raised the turn, allowing you to threebet and lead the river, which he might have raised again.

However, because of the UTG player, you waited for the value-raising moments, which would have been great if the UTG called the river bet too.

All in all I think you played it great, and I'm still jealous you got to triple check-raise
Old 12-06-2004, 06:49 PM

Yeh you played it real fancy congrats. The chances of this working again are not good. I dont like smooth calling the flop and going for the checkraise on the turn, like stox said it kills your action as your definitly not pushing a spade draw anymore or something like that. Who knows if you cap the flop and lead the turn AQ/AK/A7 or a spade draw might raise again. I cant see how it is extremely unlikely for the cutoff to be 3 betting the flop to check the turn. Very standard play for much of the party crowd. And the river checkraise, you have to be playing with complete morons to get the 3 bets you did on the river. And I know there are plenty of them, but your guarenteed 1 bet, if you bet and the most likely outcome, if you check the river is 0 bets.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:53 PM

Default i like the

checkraise on the flop, but from there im capping and leading the wholeway, u might get a 3bet on a street if u play it my way, however u might not and maybe the way u played it got the most money which is fine,
Old 12-06-2004, 06:54 PM

Default the pot is also getting big

so why not