Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Another bubble situation

Stars $6 Turbo. 5 players left. Blinds 75/150.

UTG 3000
MP1 4000
Button 2400
Hero (SB) 1600
BB 2500

UTG, MP1, Button all fold.

Hero dealt 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero completes, BB raises 150, Hero calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets 150, Hero calls.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets 150, Hero re-raise 150 to 300, BB calls.

River K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets 450, BB raises all-in, Hero calls.

Of course BB had the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Should I have bet more on the turn when I caught my flush. I was trying to extract every last chip I could from the BB given my stack size, so I was not as interested in protecting my hand as I would be if I had a bigger stack.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Another bubble situation

Not quite sure what you are doing in the hand in the first place? Just completing from SB is extremely weak - if you are to play this, do it as a steal - not a complete then call preflop raise.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:10 AM

Okay, I'm a bit confused but I'll give it a shot. I thought this was a limit tourney until I saw the all in. This is a bit of bleeding chips when you are short stacked.

The pot is up to 750 on the turn when you've hit your flush. This to me is an auto-push.

I don't understand the river bet. This is a tough one, but you've hit the nuts. This guy might have top pair, you don't want to scare him off. You want to get him allin. I think a check here might be better. Besides if he's watched enough WPT he'll think he has to earn his pot.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course BB had the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

So? You have a straight flush. FWIW, I raise either 2.5 or 3xbb pf. If he doesn't raise, I'm pushing or check-raising all in on the flop. (Of course, I do have a lot of 4th and 5th place finishes.)
Old 12-06-2004, 03:54 PM

Sorry I totally screwed this post up. The turn was maybe the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but not the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- I was trying to post from memory and not from a hand history. So, I just had a smaller flush than the BB after the river.

So, is it never a good idea to just complete in this situation? It costs me x for a chance to win 3x. and T7s is not the worst hand imaginable.

But I agree with post-flop strategy to push.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:39 PM

I likely fold this preflop. You have pretty much exactly 10xBB, I don't like raising 3xBB and folding to an all-in, and I don't like a push steal. I certainly don't like playing this hand postflop if he calls a 3xBB raise.

Failing to fold preflop I check raise all-in/push all in, on the flop.

Failing to do that I push on the turn.

Failing to do that I push on the river.

Zephyr
Old 12-06-2004, 04:16 PM

hey Tex that was me that you played this hand against. All I can say is that if you would have pushed on the turn I would have folded. I had TPTK and when you min raised me back you gave me the correct odds to call and draw for the nut flush.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:35 PM

Hey, nice hand! I think the point of my post is that I figured you would have likely folded to an all-in check-raise on the turn, but being relatively short-stacked I was trying to extract a few extra chips from you at the (slight?) risk of another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falling AND you holding the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. So, I am interested in feedback if this is a wise decision, or should I have just taken the hand down on the turn. Basic risk/reward -- I thought my short stack called for a little extra risk to get an extra 150-450 or 600 chips. Maybe this was the right play but I don't know.

Anyway nice hand.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:45 PM

Way I see it you've already won your SB back, plus the BB, plus the extra 450 chips, so 675? That's not a bad return for a "marginal" (at best!) hand like 10-7. Take the money and run!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey Tex that was me that you played this hand against. All I can say is that if you would have pushed on the turn I would have folded. I had TPTK and when you min raised me back you gave me the correct odds to call and draw for the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have probably pushed in your situation here, or at least done more than min-raise preflop. Interesting to get both sides of the equation, though.