Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 06:45 PM

Default 20-40 at Commerce

First post, go easy.

Last night at Commerce and the 15-30 only has one table. I sit down and suddenly realize that the table is so tight I either need to move to 9-18 or 20-40. After 15 minutes I move to the 20-40 and the table is great. There was a woman there in her 50's that would play every hand. She would go all the way to the river, and even call with Ace-high sometimes. It also seemed like she bet every single draw but never second or bottom pair. She had already lose about 1400 when this hand came up.

Old lady limps, MP limps, I limp with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button, blinds come along, 5 to flop:

8 4 4 with one spade. Blinds check, Lady bets, MP folds, I raise, blinds fold, she calls.

Turn Q no spade. She checks, I bet, she calls.

River 2. She checks, I check.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: 20-40 at Commerce

[ QUOTE ]
Old lady limps, MP limps, I limp with A 9 on the button, blinds come along, 5 to flop:

8 4 4 with one spade. Blinds check, Lady bets, MP folds, I raise, blinds fold, she calls.

Turn Q no spade. She checks, I bet, she calls.

River 2. She checks, I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then she shows you 78o and takes the pot, right? You describe this lady as a loose/passive type who won't value bet anything less then top pair...right? Given that information what do you think she is betting on the flop..a gut shot draw. Given your description, she isn't betting anything you can beat. I fold here and wait for a better spot. Given that you decided to continue raising the flop is fine, but remember why you are doing it. You are behind, you need a free card, she won't fold any piece of that flop. Check the turn, fold the river unimproved. You tried to make the wrong kind of play against this kind of player

lf
Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM

You describe this lady as a loose/passive type who won't value bet anything less then top pair...right?

"It also seemed like she bet every single draw... "
Old 12-05-2004, 07:51 PM

I would raise two limpers preflop with this hand on the button. It should make the hand much easier to play.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2004, 08:00 PM

This might not have been the right time for this play but it wasn't a bad idea.

By raising the flop you locked yourself into your draw read, and if you are locked onto that read you have to bet the river.

From your description there is no way she c/r you on the river but she would fold and you wouldn't have to show your hand.

The problem checking and showing is that your exposing your move. I would be upset if someone else at the table embarrassed the weak player and I think that by turning over the A9 you have been doing just that (whether intentionally or not).

I don't think this was the time to make that move
Old 12-05-2004, 09:12 PM

Default results

I showed my Ace high and she showed 75 for a missed gutshot. The question i was trying to ask was is there any reason to bet this river.

At this table it didn't seem like many people were taking a lot of notes, and I was playing so tight that many people were avoiding me anyway. In fact, it seemed like the whole table was just playing against her, and by me isolating her on the flop, I stood to win the pot.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:56 AM

It looks totally fine to me. Don't bet the river.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:19 AM

"the 15-30 only has one table. I sit down and suddenly realize that the table is so tight I either need to move to 9-18 or 20-40. After 15 minutes I move to the 20-40 and the table is great."

This confirms my experience. There are usually three or four 20-40 games going and they're way better than the lone 15-30 game. Ditto for the 40-80s vs. the 30-60.

Other than possibly raising pre-flop (which might possibly have enticed some of the others to stick around post-flop, which I wouldn't have wanted), I would have played the hand the same. Hard to put her on a worse hand than yours with which she would have called the river, and she's certainly not folding any pair.

Just curious: does the long walk from the top section to the 9-18 games affect your decision about which game to play at all?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This confirms my experience. There are usually three or four 20-40 games going and they're way better than the lone 15-30 game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last night they had 8 20-40 games before they got a single 15 game going. The 1-3 blind structure in the 15-30 and 30-60 games absalutely kills the action. But I suppose that's fine because it drives all those players up to 20-40 and 40-80!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:27 AM

The blind stucture in the 30/60 is the normal 3-2 chip. Only the 15/30 has the small game 3-1 chip blinds.

Did you guys check out the "extended play" chairs in the 9/18 section?