Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Erratic or erotic?

Here's one of those hands where my play surprised me with how odd it was. I downloaded it and just went back to it a day or so later. I think I like the way I played it, but I'm eager for comments.

I'm in middle position in a fairly tight Party 15-30 game and raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. This is a play I have been trying to quit making, since I'm not making much money with it; but at this table and with a little extra confidence I'll take a flyer on it.

A pretty solid player on the button three-bets, it's folded back to me, and I call. I have a vague and fleeting recollection that this was why I tried to get on the Axs-openraising-in-EP wagon to begin with.

The flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
I check-raise, button calls.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], giving me a good draw.

I check! and call.

River is a brick: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet, button raises.

I fold.

Comments?

JimmyV
Old 12-05-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Erratic or erotic?

I hate hate hate your turn check/river bet. It stinks of "I have a marginal hand, please bluff-raise me."

NT
Old 12-05-2004, 04:55 PM

Call for a new set-up, the deck has two 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:57 PM

Oh crud, you're right.

Flop should have been A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Just had 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the brain.

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 01:19 AM

Yup, not much money to be made with these hands against good opposition. Heck, you flopped two pair and don't really like it.

Axs plays better in volumn pots.

If you are going to induce a bluff like this with a strong hand, then don't fold. If you intend to fold this hand then don't induce bluffs with it. Or, if you suspect you may be beat and he may bluff, then check-and-call and show it down is routine.

I'd be tempted to check-and-call this one all the way, if he's the frisky type.

- Louie
Old 12-06-2004, 01:38 AM

Interesting hand.

I generally like to limp p/f with this kind of hand against an expected larger field, and hope for a flush draw, which you got. I don't think I would have raised with it p/f. I like the c/r on the flop, though.

Generally on the Turn, if I'm in early position facing one or two others, if I would call a bet that would follow my check, then I'll go ahead and bet out. As another respondent noted, checking really invites a bet from your opponent, and worst of all, it leaves you guessing as to whether he has a good hand or not.

OTOH, if you bet the turn, and he raises on this more expensive round, you can give some thought to him having you beat, and if you think so, you can fold with some degree of comfort.

bc
Old 12-06-2004, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, if you bet the turn, and he raises on this more expensive round, you can give some thought to him having you beat, and if you think so, you can fold with some degree of comfort.
bc

[/ QUOTE ]

No I can't, I have a viable draw to the nuts.

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 09:50 AM

I didn't say you SHOULD FOLD. I said if he raises you he may have more than you thought, and you could digest that information, and make a decision. You might also decide to reraise.

bc
Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say you SHOULD FOLD. I said if he raises you he may have more than you thought, and you could digest that information, and make a decision. You might also decide to reraise.

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

This is *precisely* what happened on the river, when I made the decision to fold. Isn't it? What am I missing?

I still like the way I played the turn, with the picked-up draw meaning I would have to call button's potential stop-n-go raise (remember, he 3-bet preflop). The river fold is debatable.

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 02:45 PM

Your opponent bets you on the turn and is not afraid of a checkraise. Thus, you know he has at least a good ace or a set. You can beat AJ and AQ but are behind AA, KK, or AK. I believe you played it correctly but should have just check called the river. The only reason to bet the river is because you don't want him to check behind. However, he is solid and definitely does not have JJ or QQ. By betting he will raise all hands that beat you and none that don't. So your fold is correct given how you played it.