Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Flopping trips HU after PFR

BB is a LAG. Once he senses weakness he attacks so I decided to play this hand differently from my normal line.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.20 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Flop I have to bet, too suspicious otherwise. Turn I thought was a sure fold from him if I bet so I decided to get tricky since it was HU and I thought he might be capable of bluffing on the river. Does the presence of a diamond on the turn alter the situation significantly (though it is HU) and make this move questionable?

I have to add that he did in fact have a Q so in this case I missed bets [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] - but against the average holdings and against this type of opponent I think I may often win one more bet than if I had chosen the normal line. What do you think?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Flopping trips HU after PFR

LAG's like c/r turn on paired board with nothing and nearly never fold turn HU in these spots. These 2 reasons leads me to bet turn, call a raise, and raise/bet river.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:09 PM

yep, he will call with any pair or even A high hoping u are on a bluff. Bet turn.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LAG's like c/r turn on paired board with nothing and nearly never fold turn HU in these spots. These 2 reasons leads me to bet turn, call a raise, and raise/bet river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps LAG was too strong a description. I had seen him fold to aggression quite a bit leading up to this but almost always bet when checked to. This is why I labeled him LAG.

But perhaps I should save this play for when positions are switched and I'm EP.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Checking on the turn

In response to this post, I was wondering how much more profitable it is to check on the turn after you have been betting out in order to check raise.

I have noticed in heads up situations in 5/10, whenever I show any kind of weakness after I have been betting out preflop and the flop, that it is an autobet for most opponents on the turn if i do not bet. I have tried check raising a few times and has worked out, but would it be +EV to do it almost every time when facing a new opponent?

Of course, they would be suspicous the next time you did it, but this could prevent them from betting when you don't want them to in the future (ie you miss with AQ, AJ, KQ after raising preflop and the flop, and or turn). Would this be a good idea?