Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Two pair on scary board - bet/fold river?

Read on button is loose aggressive. PFR 30%, VPIP 45%. Postflop aggressive with draws, saw her checkraise flush draws three times on the flop (capped one of them).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>(?), <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero folds</font>(?).

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.70 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

Do you also lead out on the flop and then on all streets?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Two pair on scary board - bet/fold river?

Against an aggressive player I can't fold this for one bet. You need to be ahead, what, 8% of the time to make this call okay?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't fold here nearly always assuming your read.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:39 PM

The way it played out, I call the river because you'll see the unthinking of your obvious two pair, "slowplayed" AA and KK here often enough to make it ok. I also don't bet the flop because the jacks are horribly tainted. I want to see a turn card cheap, where I can lead or checkraise. I am utterly unconcerned with giving a free card, because I'm behind often enough that it's not my problem and anybody with the A, K and even J of hearts isn't going anywhere anyway. Come to think of it, I don't bet the river against a thinking opponent. You may induce a bluff from a hand like AA or KK that knows its beat, that when you check the river talks himself into thinking you were just betting a high heart... dunno, depends on your read of his read of you.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an aggressive player I can't fold this for one bet. You need to be ahead, what, 8% of the time to make this call okay?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I see I have to call it. I just think I'm paying off too often (high WTSD) so I'm looking very hard trying to spot repeat situations where I shouldn't. Obviously this wasn't the spot to pick.