Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Can you fold this ? (3rd edition)

This one's not very elaborate, I laid down kings preflop and wanted to know your opinion about the move.

Party NL50, assume 50$ stacks for all 3 protagonists

Hero (MP) with KK

UTG raises to 3
Hero raises to 5 (comments ?)
CO calls 5
UTG raises to 20
Hero folds
CO folds

I know the fishiness of some of these guys, but I thought I was dueling with either QQ or AA, didn't want to make it a gamble.

There you go.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Can you fold this ? (3rd edition)

At these stakes with these stack sizes, I think you need a good read on your opponent before you lay down KK preflop. I really dislike the minimum reraise, too. I'd reraise to 10 and be more than happy to get all-in before the flop against a guy I have no reads on.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 PM

The min reraise, yeah, that's one of the things I'm having troubles with. So the better line would be to always reraise stronger ? Calling is yuck, right ?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:08 PM

You must push at this level IMO.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:13 PM

So you still feel good about the call if he flips over AA because you believe he won't have it more often than he will ?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:13 PM

If you are confident with your postflop play holding a big pair that doesn't turn into a set, you can just call here (I wouldn't recommend it, though). Reraising KK every single time you get it will not cost you money in these games (and will make you far more than you lose).
Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you still feel good about the call if he flips over AA because you believe he won't have it more often than he will ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are confident with your postflop play holding a big pair that doesn't turn into a set, you can just call here (I wouldn't recommend it, though). Reraising KK every single time you get it will not cost you money in these games (and will make you far more than you lose).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. You can just call and ditch it if an A turns up on the flop with no K. But I would still push cause hes gonna call and its best just to get his money in while hes ready to go to the wall. There is also some small fold equity to pushing from an AK or overaggressive player holding something else.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:19 PM

Six person table or full table?

At a six person table this is an unbelievably terrible fold. At a full table it is just a very bad fold.

The push could have been JJ or better and possible AK or AQ. At some of these tables, it could be much worse.

You should have raised to at least $10.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. You can just call and ditch it if an A turns up on the flop with no K. But I would still push cause hes gonna call and its best just to get his money in while hes ready to go to the wall. There is also some small fold equity to pushing from an AK or overaggressive player holding something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are giving up a LOT of you autofold any flop with an ace on it. He might bet his QQ on an ace-high flop and you'd be making a catastrophic FTOP mistake by folding. Playing big pairs unimproved post flop can be really tough, especially at these low stakes where people make all sorts of silly plays with questionable hands. Possibly the best argument for pushing is that you won't have to play guessing games postflop as to what piece of cheese your opponent is playing.