Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 09:31 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default A Hand I Botched Severely

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $10.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Without the poster, I'd normally fold. my relative position for a draw is crappy and I have an easily dominated hand. I should've folded regardless of whether UTG limped or posted.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

I don't think this call is too bad. If MP3 is slowplaying, I'll find out on the turn and fold a Q or J. I was getting 12.5-1 almost closing the action.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls.

ehh, I think this call sucks, and not because I got check-raised. there's a chance my gut shot is no good, since I could be drawing dead or someone could have a flush draw. this call requires implied odds, and my hand doesn't really have any, given the chances I hit and lose.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: A Hand I Botched Severely

hey josh, you know you effed up this hand pretty bad. there's not much to say about it.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:41 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I hate myself right now
Old 12-03-2004, 11:14 AM

Misplayed on every street.

Love,
Joe Tall
Old 12-03-2004, 11:20 AM

do you fold the flop? I assume you fold pf too?

EDIT: I guess raise the flop is an option too?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad to see that you are still posting here in Small Stakes.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG posts a blind of $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Without the poster, I'd normally fold. my relative position for a draw is crappy and I have an easily dominated hand. I should've folded regardless of whether UTG limped or posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly a mistake but not a huge one Isuspect in terms of EV. The bigger problem, as with many small pre-flop mistakes, is that it opens the door to making additional, and perhaps even more costly, mistakes on later rounds.

[ QUOTE ]
I was getting 12.5-1 almost closing the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Putting that aside, I still don't think you are getting good enough odds. I would not count your overcard outs too highly here.

[ QUOTE ]
ehh, I think this call sucks, and not because I got check-raised. there's a chance my gut shot is no good, since I could be drawing dead or someone could have a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty spot on there.

Anyway, I do appreciate people posting less than stellar hands as it reminds us all of mistake we are probably making ourselves (I know I make these same mistakes more than I care to admit).

All the best.

Colgin
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM

Yuck.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey josh, you know you effed up this hand pretty bad. there's not much to say about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn call was bad because Hero only has 3 clean outs and is getting about 7-1, but why are the PF and flop calls so bad?

Pre-flop, its a nice multiway, which this sort of hand likes.

On the flop, Hero has position and overcards to a paired flop that is somewhat less likely to have hit anyone (especially at this limit), although its would seem like there is an argument for raising to clean up overcard chances and find out if anyone does have the unlikely 4.

(I'm a .5/1 and 1/2 player who is studiously trying to improve, so view this not as criticism but simply as a question.)
Old 12-03-2004, 02:29 PM

Didn't you just tell me yesterday or 2 days ago, about why you can't cold call with suited connectors even with multiple coldcallers? granted your hand has a little more top pair value but....?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 PM

Whil Josh claims to hate suited connectors I think he's loosened his opinions quite a bit lately. I now hate them the most [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]