Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 08:55 PM

Default 3/6 NL... What did I do wrong?

What did I do wrong? I have my own idea, but since I'm still rather new to NL, I'd like to hear your opinion. I left this guy with about $70 in front of him.

140 UTG limps
300 UTG+1 Raises to $20
160 CO (Hero) Calls with JJ
UTG Call

3-way

Flop Qh Jc 6d

UTG bets 50
UTG+1 folds
Hero calls.

Turn is 2d

UTG Checks. I'm having a hard time putting this guy on a hand because I've never played with him before, but I don't think I can lose here. The pot is $169. I bet $50 thinking he's pot committed and he'll surely push. Instead he deliberates and painfully folds.

How do you think I could have gotten it all in there? Flop raise? Check the turn?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: 3/6 NL... What did I do wrong?

My guess is that he had an Ace-6 suited (not diamonds), and tried to end it after the flop. When you called, he wasn't going to invest any more money.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 PM

AJ
Old 12-02-2004, 09:25 PM

So you have 160. You call preflop so have $49 pot and 140 behind. He bets pot and you call, so pot is 150 and you have 90 behind. Now you bet $50 leaving yourself with 40.

If an opponent did that to you, what would you think he had? I’d put you on being totally pot committed and really wanting a call, and would think set. QJ wouldn’t call preflop and AQ would be more likely to push or check, AA/KK more likely to raise preflop and I don’t see anything else both calling preflop and on flop. So I think pushing the turn is better than minraising.

Checking and then getting all your money in on the river is an ok option if he’s an aggressive player that will be more likely to bluff or call you on the river after your turn check. But on the whole I don’t like it as much because if he has AA/KK/(and AQ maybe) the money is shallow enough he should be willing to get all in with it now anyway, if he has TT/AJ he’s folding anyway, and if he has AK/ 2diamonds then he’s only likely to call you on the river if he hits. So against his most likely holdings checking the turn doesn’t help much, its only if this player would react well to it.

Just my 2 cents

--Greg
Old 12-03-2004, 03:27 PM

Either check behind on the turn or push. Your bet is so obviously a "call-me please please please" bet that even the most dense of opponents would probably see through it.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either check behind on the turn or push. Your bet is so obviously a "call-me please please please" bet that even the most dense of opponents would probably see through it.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

so do you take this line on a bluff? i wouldn't.