Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 05:27 PM

Default 22 vs. Strange Action

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Villian is LAG.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.25. CO posts a blind of $0.35.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (6.80 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

I bet out here to see where I stand. If I am raised here then I'll call 1 SB to try to hit my set and fold if I don't.

Turn: (5.40 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Because no one raised me pre-flop I bet again (assuming that anyone with trips will raise me and I can fold to a raise here if that has happened) but also because I think I'm leading this hand.

River: (7.40 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

UTG's bet seemed suspicious to me. Did he hit a 9? Did he have trips? Is he bluffing? I'm not putting him on a straight with this action and there's no flush. What's going on?
Final Pot: 9.40 BB
Old 12-02-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: 22 vs. Strange Action

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure you didn't mistype 'Hero'? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

More seriously, with the worst possible underpair and this big a field, I'd just check, hope to hit my set, and fold if bet into. With 5 opponents you're not going to be able to force everyone out and you'll spew chips when someone catches a hand and calls you down.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:37 PM

Hero is LAG--but villian just called someone down with a 9 high and whenever he has any sort of hand he bets it. My read was good. I was ahead going into the river.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (6.80 SB) 5, 8, 4 (6 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, MP2 folds, CO folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

I bet out here to see where I stand. If I am raised here then I'll call 1 SB to try to hit my set and fold if I don't.

Turn: (5.40 BB) 8 (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Because no one raised me pre-flop I bet again (assuming that anyone with trips will raise me and I can fold to a raise here if that has happened) but also because I think I'm leading this hand.

River: (7.40 BB) 9 (2 players)
UTG bets, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. You have 22. Anyone out of five with a pair beats you. For the love of God, check/fold the flop, turn, or river if you don't hit a set anywhere. (Assuming you would have seen the latter streets for free). Low pocket pairs usually have to be higher than the whole flop (sometimes only 2) in such multiway pots to be the winning hand. If you don't hit your set here, consider your hand quite dead.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:42 PM

I prefer to check the flop and bet the turn if checked to. If there is a bet ahead of you on the turn, fold. Don't call a river bet and check it if checked to.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is LAG--but villian just called someone down with a 9 high and whenever he has any sort of hand he bets it. My read was good. I was ahead going into the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line, with your read, has merit heads-up. With 6 to the flop it's a totally different story.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM

I think he had trips or better. Looks like on the turn he didn't know if he wanted to check-raise or not. Either way he faces someone with 2 bets. When BB folded to your bet, UTG decided a check-raise wasn't the way to go, so he bet out on the river. That or he had an 8 and wasn't thrilled with his kicker, but didn't want to give you a free showdown.

Regardless, this is a check-fold situation. There's no way you're getting everyone to fold, and too much risk that someone is calling along with a 5 or even 4
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM

For what it's worth the villian showed A6 and MHIG.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK this changes my read of what villain might have had. Now he could have absolutely anything or nothing. However, he's far from your only opponent.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that you have 2 outs to hit your set. If you call this raise you're not getting nearly the 1:24 that you need to make your set.

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth the villian showed A6 and MHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you keep betting into 6 players then 4 players then 1 player with lower-than-bottom-pair you will quickly offset this win. Definitely fold this on the flop if you miss your set.