Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 12:38 PM

Default 4th nut flush played o.k.?

Villain is 30.30% VPIP; 0.00% (!!) PFR in 30+ hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Villain hit his K or has a flush draw too?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

I've made my flush so this is correct, no, or too "fancy"?? Should I have just bet out with the flush?? Since there was action on the flop I thought it was a safe bet that my check-raise would be successful...

River: (10 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero ...</font>

Wow, now I'm thinking maybe I played the pre-flop wrong too. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Should I have raised??
Old 12-02-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: 4th nut flush played o.k.?

Preflop: Easy fold. Why play a bad shorthanded hand against a preflop open raiser in the worst position. Terrible, terrible call.

Flop: Fine.

Turn: Good time to checkraise.

River: Bet and call a raise. Unlikely your opp has flush as he would have reraised the turn. Only hand you fear is KK.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:44 PM

Just read the stats on your opp. 30 hands isnt much but 0 raises means he proly has some quality here. Makes an even more awful preflop call.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with J, T.
4 folds, MP2 calls, 3 folds, Hero completes, BB raises, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero completed his SB and then called BBs raise. If he called the raise cold, then I'd agree with. He was getting 5-1 on his call when it got back to him. Not seeing a flop here is a mistake IMO. Folding is weak.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain hit his K or has a flush draw too??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just put him on a K here, specifically AK given his PF numbers. If his post-flop play is similar to his pre-flop play, I don't see him raising with a flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
I've made my flush so this is correct, no, or too "fancy"?? Should I have just bet out with the flush?? Since there was action on the flop I thought it was a safe bet that my check-raise would be successful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, based on the limited information you have on this player, he seems passive, so checking against this type of player on a 3 flushed board, you could risk it checking through. I have seen these loose-passives check turns with sets. So, I would bet out here. Good thing it worked out for you anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, now I'm thinking maybe I played the pre-flop wrong too. Should I have raised??

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop, calling is fine. You will be out of position the whole hand, and, you're hand isn't that strong. I don't think raising is wrong though. Probably doesn't make much of a difference in the long run.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Results

River: (10 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Results:
Hero has Jd Td (flush, jack high).
MP2 has 9d Qd (flush, queen high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 12 BB.

I guess his pre-flop passivity meant something! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think I should've lost at least one more BB along the way...