Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Advice on 5 hands

I’m a new player, with a very important tournament to play in 1 week, so I’m looking for advice on 5 plays from a NLHE live touney I played. Tell me if the decisions were good or bad, alternative views. I give 2 results that I thought were funny. Start with $800, blinds $10-20
1) AQ suited on button, 3 players in, I raise by $150, all three players call, 3 blanks w/the 3 of my suit, I folded to a $100 bet

2) 8-8 in late position, limped in, flop is 4h 4d 7h. Table short stack (terrible player) goes all-in for about $200, 2 players and I call. Turn is a blank, so I go all-in, to force others out. As hoped both fold, so I get that bet back win/lose. He turns over 3-3h. Board finishes 7h-6d-9h-2h-Jh giving him 3 high runner-runner-runner flush.

3) Blinds 10-20, KQ offsuit in late position, 3 limpers including me. Flop is J–9–7 rainbow. I bet and all fold to table short stack, who goes all-in for his total $330. The call is $180, leaving me $120 if I lose. Figure I have to call, given pot size, 2 overcards & gutshot, and his play. Turns over J-8.

4) I’m table short stack, with A-Q offsuit. 6 hands before the blinds force me all-in, but I push my $90 and hope

5) Stack $370, late position, QQ, blinds $50-$100. 2 limpers, I raise to $200, the BB(short stack at table) goes all-in but can’t figure out how much he has or size of the raise. Long time fumbling and everyone figures out only $180 more for limpers to call – both do and I do, leaving me $90. Flop has 2 spades. I bet remaining $90 and hope. Both limpers check down turn/river, and board is 4d-8s-10s-As-6s. BB had 7-3, Limper1 has K-10, I have QQ, Limper2 has 10h 7s, to win with the 7 high runner-runner-runner-runner flush.
Stupid error not to have pushed pre-flop with QQ in hand 5? What else?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Advice on 5 hands

Hand 1: Crazy that 3 people called the 150 raise. With all of those callers, someone has hit something, so I fold like you do. Take note of the calling stations at this point.

Hand 2: I'd probably play the same way, although would be hesitant pushing all in with 88. A horrible outdraw, these things happen.

Hand 3: I don't see why you bet this flop, it has not hit you at all and there are 3 other people in the hand. Let it go. Considering how little it was to call the all-in, I guess I would have done the same as you there.

Hand 4: Good push. 100% of the time all in there.

Hand 5: PUSH PREFLOP. You have the best hand and want the limpers to give you their 100 or pay to draw with their AJ or whatever. I think 10-7 might have folded to your all -in, and you would have won the pot. Not sure though, by the sounds of these players.

Aceragclubs
Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the input - Hand 3, I've been reading SSH a lot on hidden and partial outs, and saw 3 K's or 3 Q's for probable outs and the 4 10's as definite outs, so thought I could profitable play it as better than 2 to 1. Maybe limit thinking leaking into no-limit.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 AM

1) AQ suited on button, 3 players in, I raise by $150, all three players call, 3 blanks w/the 3 of my suit, I folded to a $100 bet.

I think your preflop raise was a little big. (Amazing that that many folks called you). I'd raise 3 to 4 times the Big blind here. Absolutlely fold after the flop.

2) 8-8 in late position, limped in, flop is 4h 4d 7h. Table short stack (terrible player) goes all-in for about $200, 2 players and I call. Turn is a blank, so I go all-in, to force others out. As hoped both fold, so I get that bet back win/lose. He turns over 3-3h. Board finishes 7h-6d-9h-2h-Jh giving him 3 high runner-runner-runner flush.

You played this one fine.

3) Blinds 10-20, KQ offsuit in late position, 3 limpers including me. Flop is J–9–7 rainbow. I bet and all fold to table short stack, who goes all-in for his total $330. The call is $180, leaving me $120 if I lose. Figure I have to call, given pot size, 2 overcards & gutshot, and his play. Turns over J-8.

I'd check and fold on the flop. It looks like you bet $150 on the flop with nothing with 3 other people in the hand with only 80 in the pot. Not a good idea.

4) I’m table short stack, with A-Q offsuit. 6 hands before the blinds force me all-in, but I push my $90 and hope.

Push Push Push

5) Stack $370, late position, QQ, blinds $50-$100. 2 limpers, I raise to $200, the BB(short stack at table) goes all-in but can’t figure out how much he has or size of the raise. Long time fumbling and everyone figures out only $180 more for limpers to call – both do and I do, leaving me $90. Flop has 2 spades. I bet remaining $90 and hope. Both limpers check down turn/river, and board is 4d-8s-10s-As-6s. BB had 7-3, Limper1 has K-10, I have QQ, Limper2 has 10h 7s, to win with the 7 high runner-runner-runner-runner flush. Stupid error not to have pushed pre-flop with QQ in hand 5? What else?

Push pre flop!!

Just my 2 cents.