Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 AM

Default Some tournament rules help please?

Hey guys I have a quick question. Me and my friend are having this argument on a situation that came up in one of our tournaments the other day. It was down to the two of us and i had about 6 chips left and he had about 50. I was shuffling the cards and he declared

"I am going to put you all in every hand until you bust"

I replied with go ahead. AS I countinued to shuffle he asked me how much i had left and I told him that i had 6 chips. He counted out 6 chips and put them in the pot.

Now when i dealt our cards, I found that i had a pair of fives and said call. I flipped over my cards and he claimed that he had taken the bet back before i started dealing.

So our argument was on whether his bet is binding, even though he declared it but pulled it back before the end of the deal.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-02-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Some tournament rules help please?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys I have a quick question. Me and my friend are having this argument on a situation that came up in one of our tournaments the other day. It was down to the two of us and i had about 6 chips left and he had about 50. I was shuffling the cards and he declared

"I am going to put you all in every hand until you bust"

I replied with go ahead. AS I countinued to shuffle he asked me how much i had left and I told him that i had 6 chips. He counted out 6 chips and put them in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would kick him squarely in the nuts for angle shooting.

Going by robert's rules:

8. A verbal statement denotes your action and is binding. If in turn you verbally declare a fold, check, bet, call, or raise, you are forced to take that action.

13. A player who bets or calls by releasing chips into the pot is bound by that action and must make the amount of the wager correct.

The only question is whether or not there is actually a pot. I'd rule that if you'd posted your blind and his chips were still out, he'd be bound to call. I'm not even sure if this is relevant, as the posting of a live straddle, for example, cannot be undone as the cards are dealt. The pot is live.

Don't turn your hand face up until you've confirmed that the pot is right and also, let him know that he shouldn't make a joke like this when it's headsup or he might get misconstrued again.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 AM

So, you were down to 2 people in a tournament, and you only had 56 chips on the table?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Were they all of equal value?

How many 'chips' were the SB & BB at (1 chip/2 chip)?? In this scenario, I assume that he would have been the BB, so would have at least had to post 2 or more chips. Were all 6 of your chips in play here?

Regardless, sounds like a 'blind bet' to me. If he put the chips in the pot, he can't take them back. How did you miss that move anyway?

J5
Old 12-02-2004, 11:39 AM

If he released the chips into the pot the chips are no longer his. Betting in the dark is allowed, but once a player "acts" that act cannot be taken back.

There could be a slight argument because he acted out of turn, but he clearly stated his intent AND placed his chips past the imaginary betting line. His fault for acting out of turn with no information.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:17 PM

"Now when i dealt our cards, I found that i had a pair of fives and said call. I flipped over my cards and he claimed that he had taken the bet back before i started dealing.

So our argument was on whether his bet is binding, even though he declared it but pulled it back before the end of the deal."

If you allow blind betting, then it was binding
Old 12-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Default binding. (nt)

no text!